Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a reasonable amount of money , its too good a Price to say no .

So questions

what to look for ?

Any Major things to Worry about ?

Heard lots of Horror stories about the AMF Days and Harleys but i'd rather hear anything anyone has to say as a Owner .

Hopefully going to Pick it up in a couple of weeks

Can anyone suggest a Good Workshop Manual for one ( i'm in the UK )

Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
IMHO, less custom, more stock. for me, true mileage is important. virgin frame as well. FLs and FLHs are great fukn bikes. i love those that cut, chop, stroke,weld, etc, but if buying something myself (as I am) I always look for as little molestation as possible...unless i am shooting for something completely modified.

post pics and price and we can talk more

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Make sure it's an FLH (4 speed solid mount engine) and not an FLT (5 speed rubber mount.) The FLT's are generally worth less, harder to find special parts for, and much harder to modify into anything cool, if that's what you're going for.

Don't be afraid of AMF. There were some problems in the early years, but almost all of those surfaced in the first year of the bike's ownership, and have been fixed long ago. By '80 AMF had it's act pretty well together.

Can't beat a genuine HD service manual. Much better than Haynes or Clymer. And it doesn't hurt to have a genuine HD parts book either; exploded drawings and part numbers.

+1 on what the taxman said - the less molested the better unless you absolutely know what you're looking at.

·
Registered
227 Posts
In 20 years of owning an AMF HD, I learned to ask if the person slamming the amf's actually ever owned one, so far not one single whiner has ever owned one. Just about any AMFer can tell you the minor flaws were corrected thousands miles ago.

The worst (make that the only) flaw mine had was a couple of tiny bubbles in the rocker boxes.

For a reasonable amount of money , its too good a Price to say no .

So questions

what to look for ?

Any Major things to Worry about ?

Heard lots of Horror stories about the AMF Days and Harleys but i'd rather hear anything anyone has to say as a Owner .

Hopefully going to Pick it up in a couple of weeks

Can anyone suggest a Good Workshop Manual for one ( i'm in the UK )

Thanks

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thanks
The build quality of an AMF bike is somewhat irrelevant after 30 years. The quality of the work done by previous owners is a much greater concern.

Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had a '72 Superglide that I used to ride from northern NJ to Norfolk, VA every weekend. It was a great bike... until I ran it off the road one dark and rainy night... but that's another story.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Oh you are in England, ignore the comment re the title. As suggested above how its been treated is critical. Its 31 years old - be preapred to rebuild it as you go.

If you can get a pic of the engine number and post it here. Lots of dodgy bikes out there. Numbers matching bike may be worth later at some stage too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Invest in a Harley service manual and parts manual. They are nice bikes and can be very reliable once you iron out any bugs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Frame and Engine Numbers Match allready checked that , gotta wait about 10 Days before i can drag it home and go over it properly .

Not a Q Plate , Frame is Unaltered

Will post pics once its here

Managed to get a Genuine Harley Manual for the Bike and a Clymer Manual aswell

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 80 FLH bobber is my favorite of all my bikes.... Classic in my eyes....kick only trooper

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I am not a historian, by any means, but from what I understand, AMF, took HD, from chapter 11, to success, and AMF, did almost all the R and D on the evo motor, which most who ride, seem to like them well. HD, bought them out, just before the evo was to come out. Now, I am not a big evo fan, but they were a improvement over the leaking and sometimes, hard to start shovels. I still prefer the shovels and ironheads, pre AMF and AMF years as well. Had my 73, for 33 years, and even though I have a coral full of bikes to choose from. I prefer the shovel as my daily rider. Yeah, it is a early AMF model, and from what I can recall, over 200 K miles, give or take a few here and there. I agree with a statement above,,,,,previous owners are a much worse mechanical problem than the factory AMF ones. I have seen mismatched pistons, different bores, rods installed backward, stripped bolts, with loctite to hold in place, homemade head gaskets, "totally rebuilt, from the bottom up", and it smoked and had more noise than a old diesel motor, and I could go on and on. But suffice it to say, that you can fix anything that is wrong with the bike and ride it for the rest of your life. Period.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am not a historian, by any means, but from what I understand, AMF, took HD, from chapter 11, to success, and AMF, did almost all the R and D on the evo motor, which most who ride, seem to like them well. HD, bought them out, just before the evo was to come out. Now, I am not a big evo fan, but they were a improvement over the leaking and sometimes, hard to start shovels. I still prefer the shovels and ironheads, pre AMF and AMF years as well. Had my 73, for 33 years, and even though I have a coral full of bikes to choose from. I prefer the shovel as my daily rider. Yeah, it is a early AMF model, and from what I can recall, over 200 K miles, give or take a few here and there. I agree with a statement above,,,,,previous owners are a much worse mechanical problem than the factory AMF ones. I have seen mismatched pistons, different bores, rods installed backward, stripped bolts, with loctite to hold in place, homemade head gaskets, "totally rebuilt, from the bottom up", and it smoked and had more noise than a old diesel motor, and I could go on and on. But suffice it to say, that you can fix anything that is wrong with the bike and ride it for the rest of your life. Period.
I agree. Hell, my '79 Sporty is still running the stock igniton. Not afraid to ride it anywhere!

·
Registered
30 Posts
yep, good on amf. rode my '81 fl from 17-24 years old like a 17-24 year old knows how. i.e. bangin' gears as hard and fast as possible for 7 years straight. in the process of a rebuild, now. gonna do it again, only how a 31-38 year old knows how. enjoy and cheers!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts