Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished put my bike back togeather. I painted the frame, and such. My bike starts on the first kick, runs great at idle. As soon as take off in gear it spits and sputers. Its a 72 Triumph, batteryless, with a harley coil. It ran great before the tear down. Now it runs like shit. Not sure if maybe I have a leak around the carb and manifold. Maybe my condensor/coil is hooked up wrong. Any suggestions. Also, i'm getting a flame out of my right side pipe. Thats new too. I didnt change anything on the carbs except, intstall new cables. Any suddgestions would be appreciated. I'm trying to get this thing running for the lonestar round up tomorrow. thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Rookie said:
I just finished put my bike back togeather. I painted the frame, and such. My bike starts on the first kick, runs great at idle. As soon as take off in gear it spits and sputers. Its a 72 Triumph, batteryless, with a harley coil. It ran great before the tear down. Now it runs like shit. Not sure if maybe I have a leak around the carb and manifold. Maybe my condensor/coil is hooked up wrong. Any suggestions. Also, i'm getting a flame out of my right side pipe. Thats new too. I didnt change anything on the carbs except, intstall new cables. Any suddgestions would be appreciated. I'm trying to get this thing running for the lonestar round up tomorrow. thanks
Sounds fishy to me..Sorry. You said Carp.

Spike

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Rookie said:
Sounds like a carb problem....If you had both carbs off for new cables, you need to sync the slides....just open the throttle wide and check if both slides reach the top of their bores at the same time. Also when the slides are at the bottom of their travel, make sure they both leave the floor at the same time. Amals also have to be tightened carefully to the intakes , so you don't warp the carb mounting surface....they need to float slightly on the intake, but not so loose as to create a vacuum leak. As far as coil and condenser, the harley coil can be hooked up with no regard to positive, negative. The condensers are hooked up at the same terminal as the wire down to the points. If you didn't touch the timing, it should be OK along with the points.

Good luck....wish I was there for the roundup.:(

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Man, I hope you can get it running by tomorrow. I would like to check it out, I might just head do to the strip to check out the madness. When I went to lunch all I saw were the Rods in town, feels good to see all the action (sad I didn't finish my bike on time :( ).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.