Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so at the moment, I have two T140V engines, and one T140E. In my handy dandy Haynes manual, it lists the "E" engine as an "emissions" engine, while the other two, are listed as "5-speed" engines. Is there a "better" one to use out of the three ? They all seem to be in pretty good shape, all turning over pretty easily. There are two with a head/rocker boxes each, and the T140E engine didn't come with a head, just the barrels for the pistons. Soooooo, what do ya guys think ?

-Aaron

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
There is probably very little difference in your E and V engines. E engines had lower compression pistons, but guys often replaced them right after purchase. The E and V motors were the latest in a long line of small improvements after 1963, when tri went to the unitconstruction motor. Five speeds are good, but pricey if you need parts. 5 speed tranmissions are pricey on e-bay so you can often fund other purchases by selling the gear box to guy who want to retro-fit the 5 speed clusters into 4 speed boxes. use the one that is more complete.

·
Registered
421 Posts
fouraceswes said:
5 speed tranmissions are pricey on e-bay so you can often fund other purchases by selling the gear box to guy who want to retro-fit the 5 speed clusters into 4 speed boxes. use the one that is more complete.
Wes makes an excellent point. The 'instant 5 speed' conversion kit (the complete innards of your 5 spd tranny) on ebay go for big bucks (like hundreds). If you've got two and a half unit/five speed engines, part out the incomplete E to make some money for the project.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not to hi jack this thread. But since we're on the subject about different trump motors, I have an SC t-100 motor in my bike. and I am wondering what
the spacific differences are internally from say a c or r motor. Thanks Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.