Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Ethenol mess with it at all? Any horror stories?Im wanting to line a new tank that I did some welding on-no pin holes. I could really use a heads up. Also if I do it, Should I do it before or after paint? Thanks! :confused:

·
Registered
122 Posts
It was in my tank when I bought my TR-6. Ethanol ate it up real bad. Pain in the ass to remove. I used Caswells with great results.

Just to be safe I'd do it before painting.

Dale

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would advise against any tank liner, it just a matter of time before the shit starts peeling off' even caswells

·
Registered
887 Posts
Out of the thousdands of posts all over the net I've read about tank lining, theres probably only about 100 posts from people that like it. Which leaves ALOT of people that don't like it.

I sent a tank out for custom paint and the painter went ahead and lined it without telling me. I saw it inside, and thought what the heck, he's a pro painter, surely he knows more about tank lining than me.

About 300 miles later, I go to the gas station to get some gas, and after about 80 cents, gas was running all over the tank ! The lining had lifted and made like a huge thick ballon inside the tank, so it was blocking the gas from getting in. I was lucky and was able to pull it all out in 1 or 2 pieces.

Keep the tank full of gas when your letting it sit. Even if you have to drain the tank at the end of the winter, thats alot less expensive and easier than trying to get that crap outa your tank when it fails.

Sixball

·
Registered
497 Posts
just keep it full of gas and ride the wheels of it and there will never be a need for that liner crap, so no dont use it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you HAVE to seal it, POR-15 is the best I ever saw and tried. Like liquid steel. Used it numberous times and as good as the day it was applied.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Been using it in all my bikes for years, no trouble. Gas in my state is 10% ethanol. Prep your tank as the instructions say and you should have no problems.
I also used it to line the rusted tank of my 61 Mercury Comet, no trouble there either.

·
Registered
262 Posts
it's all in the prep. i did mine back in 94 and haven't had a problem
Been using it in all my bikes for years, no trouble. Gas in my state is 10% ethanol. Prep your tank as the instructions say and you should have no problems.
I also used it to line the rusted tank of my 61 Mercury Comet, no trouble there either.
see, this is what i was thinking... i did 2 tanks and the prep was insane, i took my time and made sure i did it to the best of my ability, and so far havent had any problems, i was just worried because both tanks ended up on bikes i have sold... i was just afraid the ethanol would eat away at it and i would have 2 guys really pissed off.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Folks,

We all should agree that adding ethanol to gasoline is the high water mark of stupidity.

But ethanol by itself is not the culprit of digested fuel lines, sealers, goober, floats, and whatnot.

Ethanol alone is quite gentle. Could anyone drink it if it were not?

It is the combination with the myriad of other oxygenators, injector cleaners, Intake Valve Deposit inhibitors (IVD), detergents, antifoams, etc., etc., that make up the P4gas that comes out of pumps.

And you never know what will come out of the next pump next time.
There are no regulations for fuels beyond octane rating.

Kreem survives in my wife's bike since the mid '80s,..
but I would no more put modern Kreem into a tank than to toss my great-grandchild into the river.

Sealers' formulas change just like gas does, and rarely for the better.
Its not about the sealers,..
Its about the gas, duh.

....Cotten

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well sometimes you need to line a tank, new tanks can be porous so in that case I bring it to a radiator shop and have em seal it with the red stuff. That sh!t will never come off!!!

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Red Kote or Por 15!!! Kreem despite what they now say on the package is krapp!!!!!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
You're going to get all sorts of feedback on this issue. As for me about half my bikes have been done with Kreem and half of them have peeled...yes I followed the instructions to the letter. My advice to you is if you don't need to line it then don't. If you do, I would suggest you try redcoat or Por-15...both are superior to Kreem...and have it done by a professional (rad shop), the extra money it costs you will pay off in the end....and for frigg's sake do it before you paint.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Folks,

I lost a couple of thousand dollars trying POR-15.
"15" stands for "fifteen minutes."
(I test sealers, adhesives, and other goobers annually, and POR-15 is the first to slough off!: second attachment, the stuff fallen loose at the bottom left is POR-15)

Diligas!
If your new tank is porous, it is a piece of crap, duh.

It ain't the ethanol alone folks,
It is all the nasty other additives combined with ethanol on the side.
The safest approach is to have a solid tank with no sealer needed.
Even seasoned sealers can suddenly self-destruct (first attachment).

You never know what will come out of the next pump, this season, or the next.

...Cotten

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I feel like I have been lied to for so long... I have been using POR-15 and so far so good. But those giant buggers are scary. So, I'll go with whatever you guys say now.

Cotten: Are you a professional tank tester or is it just a hobby? Seriously.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts