Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i'm REALLY new to this bike customizing thing...and i wanna lower my bike so i compressed my spings all the way down but still wanna go lower...my question is, is it alright to cut the springs and if so any specific way to do it?
thanx guys

·
Registered
205 Posts
punkabilly1306 said:
ok so i'm REALLY new to this bike customizing thing...and i wanna lower my bike so i compressed my spings all the way down but still wanna go lower...my question is, is it alright to cut the springs and if so any specific way to do it?
thanx guys
Cutting springs is a no-no,
Not on a car,
Not on a boat,
Not on a bike...

it'll prolly work but you MIGHT have to PAY for it

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wouldn't cut any springs down for the front end. But I have been involved in cutting down springs for rear shocks a couple of times. It works to lower the bike and stiffen the ride. Equally effective at both. But you have to be careful and cut the springs pretty much just right. Can't do like my side burns and take a little off each side until I have a stripe across the top of my head trying to even them up.

Anyway, you will also have to cut the shaft in the shocks. And weld the doohickey for the bolt back on the shaft.

For the front, buy the lowering kits or get the tubes cut to length by a machine shop. But, personally? I'd go with the kit for the front.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey i work for a machine shop so I will see what we can whip up, i never even thought of that...maybe a bracket to compress the springs even more?

·
Registered
12 Posts
punkabilly1306 said:
hey i work for a machine shop so I will see what we can whip up, i never even thought of that...maybe a bracket to compress the springs even more?
We cut the rear springs on my brothers bike to lower the rear end a bit. Looks good and been working fine for a good six months now.

Removed the shock, removed the spring from the shock, cut an inch or two off, welded and grinded the cut end so it was the same as before.

Did both springs in a night. Cheap and works good.

T3.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Craven Moorhead said:
Cutting springs usualy results in blown shocks.
Why? Bottoming out? Just curious.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I took 1.5" out of the fork springs on my XS. You have to make a spacer the same size though to install between the lower and upper fork legs. My bike rides just fine, just a little stiffer. I like it though, big improvement over stock. My 2 cents...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Craven Moorhead said:
Shock Valving, spring rate is increased and the shock is used beyond it's limits and bottoming out will blow them out.
Have to cut the shaft down to match the length of the springs. Then - they won't bottom out, shortening the springs stiffens the ride, slows the rate at which the springs compress, because they are stiffer. I don't see how this could damage dampers, the dampers only know how fast and how far the shaft is traveling. They can't know the spring rate. So, as long as shaft travel is comparable to the distance the springs will compress under riding conditions, there is no reason to bottom the shock or blow out the dampers.

I've done this twice now, the first set of shocks (factory, no less) have lasted for over 10 years since the mod. The second, a few months with no problems. Never attempted to cut fork springs.

My .02.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
progressive is for front end, not sure if its available for your bike... i think you are talkin about rear though

·
Registered
49 Posts
The cool thing about lowering a japanese bike is u can always just use shorter forks from another bike as long as the fork tube sizes are the same. Those are probably 35mm and 25in? Ask the guys at chopperunderground.com about fork diameters and sizes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts