Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tech question for you guys: I've got a friend who works at casting factory. They make various aluminum and magnesium parts for the automotive and sporting goods industries: steering wheel cores, snowboard boot bindings, wheelchair components, brake fluid reservoirs, etc.--mostly kooky private label (non-branded) components and sub-assemblies; no finished goods. What's stopping my friend from making motorcycle parts out of magnesium? Rocker boxes, foot pegs, finned oil bags and light buckets seem like perfect parts for this material; not under too much stress, etc. Opinions?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Used a bunch of different mag parts kart racing, its all about weight savings. Believe it or not it actually provides a different handling characteristics than aluminum when used in a wheel hub or wheel aplication. It also disapates heat better than aluminum, it looks nice when plated also. There is no reason you could not cast parts with it, just be cautious what type of part you cast high temp heat or ware parts and mag do not get along real well with each other.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Remember too that Mag will corrode away. Aluminum will form aluminum oxide which actually protects the AL because it's so hard, but Mag has no such feature. It also oxidizes faster than AL. Keep it polished though, and you'll be fine:)

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback and experience. I'll talk to my buddy and see what he thinks. regarding the oxidation problems inherent in mag, can these be reduced or eliminated by changing the formula of the alloy? there are dozens (hundreds?) of different aluminums (2000, 6000, 7000 series alloy, for example). could the same be true of magnesium? perhaps these modified mag-based alloys can eliminate burning, oxidizing and breaking issues that you guys talked about? I don't know shit from apple butter about this stuff. to prove my point, last week my old lady caught me smearing a turd on my toast...

thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Most "Mag" parts are alloyed with aluminum and other metals both to increase durabilty and increase corrosion resistance. I don't know specific alloys, but generally the more AL in the mix, the more durable the part.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I keep reading this and all it reminds me of was in my less wholesome days we used to crack the finish off of mag car wheels and set them on fire...oh the joy of a burning car you can't put out!....Im better now, really :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
A few years back,I was working in a mostly titanium/magnesium shop,as a contractor.We all knew the risks of the place----especially in the cutting and grinding areas.We were doing overhead cranes,while the "other" contractors were working on structural (which we did also) They proceeded to light the place on fire for several days.The local FD just babysat the place until the fire went out.Water is bad,hence the reaction by the FD.They just made sure the dusty area didn't spread anywhere.Basically anything in powder form is explosive or flammable.Lightly dust your lit Zippo with coffee creamer at work tomorrow.It's fun.I'd say it's safe enough for the parts you specify.Make sure you dip those pegs on the road.Way cool!

Jimmy Diesel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts