Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any pics, tips, tricks, about putting a disc rear brake on a hardtail ironhead?? how about dual plugging an ironhead?? what about maching the spark plug holes to take those compression releases that screw into the spark plugs (I am thinking that a comp. release MIGHT make the bike easier to start as it has a locked advance magneto, maybe NOT??)
thanks-

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dan said:
anyone have any pics, tips, tricks, about putting a disc rear brake on a hardtail ironhead?? how about dual plugging an ironhead?? what about maching the spark plug holes to take those compression releases that screw into the spark plugs (I am thinking that a comp. release MIGHT make the bike easier to start as it has a locked advance magneto, maybe NOT??)
thanks-
To mount a disc to a rigid Irontail,you have to fab a mount to the lower arm and run your rear master.I haven't seen a dual plug Ironhead, but you definitely need to have a machine shop set that up.I don't think you run dual plugs of a single fixed mag.I have been looking for a set of compression releases myself for my 60 Sporty, I broke my foot kickin that bitch over...but after rebuilding the mag, new coil,adjustting the carb,....hell it's still a bitch to start...Good luck

·
Banned
538 Posts
Google it :),theres tons. Just make a bracket or mod one for the wheel
then anchor it like you would a drum.I think the Thunderheads were dual plug.
Comp releases can be found on most speedway and flat track sites,Bultaco use
to have a nice set up I'msure could be modded

·
Registered
552 Posts
BULLDOG13 said:
To mount a disc to a rigid Irontail,you have to fab a mount to the lower arm and run your rear master.I haven't seen a dual plug Ironhead, but you definitely need to have a machine shop set that up.I don't think you run dual plugs of a single fixed mag.I have been looking for a set of compression releases myself for my 60 Sporty, I broke my foot kickin that bitch over...but after rebuilding the mag, new coil,adjustting the carb,....hell it's still a bitch to start...Good luck
morris magneto has these new trick plug wires,that allow you to turn dual plugs off a regular magneto

havent heard much about it,but im starting to see it in catalogs

http://www.morrismagneto.com/products.html

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
googled it and only real info I found so far is from the sportster.org site and it entails using a discbrake swingarm and factory mag. I understand I'll have to mount a bracket for the caliper I guess the question I should have asked is there a specific 16" spoke wheel I should be scrounging for that will work, or does it even matter??

I have a mag so if I do the dual plug route those wires look like the way to go. If I am not mistaken the only aftermarket type heads are for 1200 and evo's, right? Mine is a 900 1970.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'mm in the process of doing that right now. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what wheel I'm using, only that it's got a .75" axle and I'm making my own bracket using cardboard templates. I'll post some pics of my s l o w progress after I get back from working this weekend.

·
Banned
538 Posts
Sportys came with dics,though the factory bracket I belive wraps the swing arm
but you could always mod it.Wheel size is not important it is the caliper rotor that have to match up.Iron Horse did a thing on the brake set up a few years back,it's really kinda easy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts