Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found a set of mid controls for the 73 xlch I have been building. Put on the shift lever today and tried to shift through the gears and I think I might have a problem. I can shift into 1st neutral and up to second but can't seem to get into any other gears. This is my first ironhead and I don't know what could be wrong so I would appreciate any help.

Thanks Ben

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response F.st.m but can you please explain that. First ironhead and I've never had to do that. Thanks man

·
Registered
272 Posts
The way it works is....
The shifter pawl & plate work to select the gears.
The gears have dogs (4 or 5) that engage into the slots on the other gear.
The gears must be turned to sync the dogs into the slots.
This is why he said to try and turn the rear wheel, which will turn the main shaft and the gears will mesh.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
To be a little more specific, jack up the rear tire with what ever you have to jack it up with. Make sure it is stable. Rotate rear wheel, and shift into 1st. Rotate or bump the wheel, and shift into neutral. Rotate wheel again, and shift into 2nd. Bump the wheel forward, while shifting into 3rd. if it will not shift, make sure the shifter lever is tight. If you have a 75 or 76, and all the cross over stuff, make sure the lever on the shift shaft is tight on the shaft(behind the cam cover(remove the kicker cover, or sprocket cover and you will see it). If you still have no 3 or 4, you may have internal problems, and that is a whole new story. Also, check your clutch adjustment. The higher the gear, the less torque it takes to make it slip.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If it is a cross over (right to left) 75-76 bike like mentioned, I believe that shaft is splined to the inner lever.
Not sure what controls your using but be sure all your shift pivots/ levers are situated correctly and they do not contact any parts that would keep the shaft from rotating far enough to engage gears. m

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.