Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
I always adjust mine with the engine hot. I know the manual says to do it cold, but when one of these motors comes to operating temperature, the pushrods stretch a little, and may not allow the valves to close completely. Just the way I adjust solids, and it has always worked for me without any problems.

·
Registered
689 Posts
^^^^ but when the motor cools down will it put stress on the valves by keeping them from closing fully? Seems that would put some strain on them and not help it in the long run. Im not questioning it just asking. Hell I just adjusted mine for the first time like 2 weeks ago. However I didnt do them like Roach said I kept it in the air the whole time and just ran through the gears. Then adjusted one by one when the opposite was fully open. It runs way better now but I know Roach knows his shit so i may re-do them now.
No sir, if you adjust them hot, when the pushrods are fully expanded, they will shrink as they cool, and will in turn be a little on the loose side, but no more than a thousanth or two. Obviously, you do not want a pushrod that is way too loose, as that causes unwanted noise and excessive wear on pushrods. I have found that because of the noisy nature of the solid tappet ironheads, most people overtighten the pushrods to quiet them down. This will hold the valves open just enough when at temp that the valves do not contact the seats long enough to dissipate heat to the head, and will, in turn, cause burnt exhaust valves, hard starting when hot, and poor low end performance. That's my reasoning, I am not saying that it is the only way to adjust them, but it has proven to work for me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts