Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some opinions here , i'm riding along just fine ,and the bike starts popping really f...ing bad ,and then dies at 2:30 in the morning . I first check and changes the plugs ,checked the timing and points,it wants to fire but won't .Also I have a Bendix and the choke seems to want choke it's self everytime it back fires through the carb,when i'm kicking on it.Well to sum it up i pushed the shit heap home 2 miles and got a good work out .

tHANKS for Any suggestions!!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
The Roach said:
I need some opinions here , i'm riding along just fine ,and the bike starts popping really f...ing bad ,and then dies at 2:30 in the morning . I first check and changes the plugs ,checked the timing and points,it wants to fire but won't .Also I have a Bendix and the choke seems to want choke it's self everytime it back fires through the carb,when i'm kicking on it.Well to sum it up i pushed the shit heap home 2 miles and got a good work out .

I would check the coil, battery & electrical connections.

·
Registered
675 Posts
same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. After i went thru the whole fuel system and wiring I found this....The Ground wire from the battery broke in the skrink wrap and the only reason I found out was i was taking the battery out and the wire was moving around too easy. Wellwith the ground wire gone all the juice fried the battery. I still had 12.8 volts but it would not take a load at all. So It would start butthe minute i gave it gas it would sputter and die...so test your battery first thing it could turn out to be an easy fix
The Roach said:

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
something you may want to check is the condenser, i had a similar situation where the tack weld on the condenser strap(half strap) broke free causing intermittent ground(condenser body needs to brounded)...i could get it to idle but under load she would break up real bad and backfire through the carb, also check the condition of your points...condenser problems can cook them. i thought it was a fuel problem and went through the carb twice before i found it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If your 1970 and up. You may have busted the roll pin that locates the advance unit to the cam. Your bike would suddenly go out of time for no apperent reason. My buddies 70 did that and the unit was worn out and the weights were hitting the cam cover, broke the pin and the bolt that holds the advance unit to the cam also.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
PONY said:
If your 1970 and up. You may have busted the roll pin that locates the advance unit to the cam. Your bike would suddenly go out of time for no apperent reason. My buddies 70 did that and the unit was worn out and the weights were hitting the cam cover, broke the pin and the bolt that holds the advance unit to the cam also.
damn I had that once too with the same results...the roll pin on the magneto cam gear sheard so timing was umm..."variable" and not the good variable timing like in jap cars! i will never use a hollow roll pin there again...the condenser issue will feel the same way with the points arcing like crazy=no timing

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback i'm checking all the suggestions tonight , i think it's a timing issue ,maybe?

·
Registered
583 Posts
As with ALL breakdowns. It's was a cold and rainy nite, we were trieing to catch the last ferry boat back to the mainland and my buddies Sporty starts acting up. It also broke the bolt that holds the whole mess to the cam. I had a spare bolt because at the time I was running a weird cone style cam cover on my pan. BUT who carries a roll pin?? It turns out that Barbed wire fencing is the same diameter as the roll pin. We fixed it and made the last boat.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
macgyver'd it with barbed wire... fuck necessity, cold rain and a slipping boat schedule breeds innovation!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Roach said:
Thanks for all the feedback i'm checking all the suggestions tonight , i think it's a timing issue ,maybe?
Well i found the rat, it was the flyweights,actually one springs took a dive ,so easy fix .Thanks for all the feedback.

Stay Loaded ,and Keep on Truck'n

1 - 10 of 10 Posts