Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure it's been covered but I did a search for it and couldn't find anything so here it goes: I was wondering if there is a five speed option for my 75' ironhead or if I could swap out my fourth and possibly third gear to let it run better on the highway for longer trips. I imagine you could but I don't know I'm just assuming, and that can be a bad idea. Any help would be great. I'm sure a 4 spd is fine but it feels like the rpm's are too high to ride more than an hour or 2 at highway speeds. Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The front sprocket will give you more highway speed, but take away that zip from the redlight. If that works for you, then you have it done and much cheaper. If you want to balance it, you could swap your stock rear wheel, and run a shovel type rear sprocket, and a disc brake. Then you could work with a balance of speed and quick leaves.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Good point Russel. You could always cut the transmission off and run an open primary mated to a whole shovel 4 speed ratchet top transmission. haha, not likely, but i thought i'd throw that out there. but seriously, it has been done.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I run a 51 rear and 22 front and do 70 all day long. Now if you want to run with all the big inch 6 speeds that's a different story.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! I can't believe I didn't think about changing sprockets with all my Bmx bike experience. Thanks a ton for the tips, that's an awesome idea and it's proven which is even better! Thanks you guys for the help, I'll be cruising the highways (at lower rpm's) in no time. Chalk another life changed because of great advice found on this website. Thanks again!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts