Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the timing cover off of my '74 sportster to polish it, like a dipshit I let the timing gears fall out. I am planning on having a mechanic look at the timing but I wanted to put them back in to not lose them. Everything went right back but for some reason I can't spin everything through. It looks like the lobes are lifting the rods up all the way before reaching the max height on the lobes. Everything is lining up, what the hell am I missing?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The manual will walk you through it. You have to take a look at the flywheel mark in the timing hole. Get the line lined up in the center of the hole and then line the cams up with the mark on the pinion gear. Pull the pushrods and tubes first, line up the timing mark in the hole, line up the cam marks with the pinion gear mark. Make sure any shims that fell out go back where they came from or you'll have problems down the road.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess this is for dipshits because I've done it myself. ;)
Thanks kickstarts. Got it. Not to go off subject but one more question....do I need to remove the clutch assy. to remove the studs that anchor the rear mounting bracket? The bracket itself is cracked due to a wreck.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
You just need to remove the kicker cover. The 3 studs are in blind holes. Everyone's rear engine mount is cracked. Have a look at all the Ironheads you see in any parking lot, most are cracked or have been welded.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Thanks kickstarts. Got it. Not to go off subject but one more question....do I need to remove the clutch assy. to remove the studs that anchor the rear mounting bracket? The bracket itself is cracked due to a wreck.
You will find, that when you get down to the rear motor mount and get the nuts off, that the mount will not clear the cases to get off. You will need to remove the studs to get it off. Double nut the studs and back out. Hopefully they will come out with no problems.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
G

·
Double nut the studs and back out. Hopefully they will come out with no problems.
They can be a booger...May see the need for some heat on the cases...

The OEM rear mount are light duty compared to the after-maket mounts...

=================================================

Might as wells stroke it while you are in there.
"Think we went to the same school"

Was that you driving the 49 Merc with the Lake side pipes and the fussy dice hanging off the rear-view mirror..???

.........This One.........

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts