Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to an old timer about doin' the top end on my motor ('74 xlch) & he said there was no easy way. So I pulled the motor out 'cause the head/rocker bolts wont clear the top tube.He & the manual both said not to use sealant w/ the rocker gasket. Got it all back together & it wont start. Feels like low compression when I kick it, bit of oil comin out @ rocker cover.Is lack of sealant the prob? What do you use?Any easy way to get the heads off? Pullin the engine out sucks.:confused:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You don't need to pull the motor to get the heads off. You take the carb and pipes off then remove the 4 head bolts on each head and take the heads off. You take the rocker covers off after you have the heads off. You can do it all with the engine in the frame. You may need a skinny socket for the head bolts but you can do it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Creepinogie said:
You don't need to pull the motor to get the heads off. You take the carb and pipes off then remove the 4 head bolts on each head and take the heads off. You take the rocker covers off after you have the heads off. You can do it all with the engine in the frame. You may need a skinny socket for the head bolts but you can do it.
Right on, mabey an impact socket ground down eh?What about sealant though, and/or what type?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
satanizkool said:
Right on, mabey an impact socket ground down eh?What about sealant though, and/or what type?
Get the Cometic rocker box gaskets that are made from stainless steel with the viton rubber coating and spread a thin layer of Suzukibond on them.Had trouble with my shovel's rocker boxes and put these on , they're the shit!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Skinny deep well works good. Usually you don't need to grind it down. if it's a higher quality socket.
Just buy new gaskets. make sure you torque the heads in about 10 ftlb increments (same with rocker covers) when you put them back on. If you really want to use a sealant over the gaskets (only on the rocker gaskets) that spray on copper stuff from the auto store works good. Oh yeah, You'll still need to readjust the pushrods as your new gaskets will more than likely compress a little diffeent than the old ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts