Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a pretty bad noise after I got it fired up from the primary side and I found leaky gaskets. Took the cover off tonight and was pretty stoked with what I found. No metal flake in the oil and all seems pretty clean and in good shape... what say you more knowing folks?? Should i check for anything while I'm here??
Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way I believe the noise was from zero tension on the chain. When I filled the primary with the gear oil it started pouring out what I thought was the drain hole. I quickly put a bolt in there and the leak stopped. After looking today that is the chain tensioner bolt hole. Kinda important and I'm sure there is a correct bolt for that application. I'll need to get one.

Sorry .. I'm new to these motors:eek:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I shut the garage down for the night Mr.dragstews...whats your wonder? What should I be looking for? Chain being stretched? I'll get on it immediately after work tomorrow

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So with zero tension I should be able to pull the chain off the teeth on the back side of the basket? The 1/8" would be measured between the chain and the tips of the teeth? What about a sloppy shifter shaft? Its pretty loose feeling.. I bet there's a bushing to take the slop out. Do you get to that from this side?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes if you want to pull the trans out. The bushing is in the side of the case for the shifter shaft and one in the outer primary. It should just float in the bushings with the finger of the shifter shaft in the pawl carrier.

G

·
I should be able to pull the chain off the teeth on the back side of the basket?
Yes....If more then the 1/8 pull off from sprocket teeth is noted...The chain will need to be replaced....If you run a mega worn chain, it will ride high on the teeth and ware the teeth out...

The 1/8" would be measured between the chain and the tips of the teeth? What about a sloppy shifter shaft? Its pretty loose feeling.. I bet there's a bushing to take the slop out. Do you get to that from this side?
The shift shaft will appear to be real sloppy without the primary cover on it...
May not be much concern unless you detect alot of movement with the cover on...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll recheck slop in shifter shaft with cover on. Probably only replacing outer bushing if needs as there is no reason to open trans at this time

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I checked the chain and it seems very difficult to get off let alone having 1/8" gap between the teeth and the chain. Teeth that I can see appear in good condition as well, no nicks or rounding of the tips

G

·

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
3 o'clock position - check. Screwdriver under link plate - check. Remove plastic type adjuster hump for more available slack - check. No gap between the teeth and chain at full pry of screwdriver

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I know you know, and probably, everybody knows, but you can not adjust that chain, with the primary off. The adjuster is in the primary cover. When the adjuster bolt(a threaded shaft with a 1/4 allen in the end) is to short to adjust the chain, the chain is shot. Unless there is something I can not see in the photo, that chain is adjustable, for sure.

G

·
I know you know, and probably, everybody knows, but you can not adjust that chain, with the primary off. The adjuster is in the primary cover. When the adjuster bolt(a threaded shaft with a 1/4 allen in the end) is to short to adjust the chain, the chain is shot.

And the Shoe,,,

Unless there is something I can not see in the photo, that chain is adjustable, for sure.
And M-6 works well, if you need to replace the shoe that is there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shovit, I think that the chain is adjustable - absolutely. I was checking to make sure the chain was not too stretched. Dragstews with the info I have provided would you concur that the chain is good? The "shoe" must be the hump which I referred to as the adjuster but clearly the bolt pushing the shoe would be the actual "adjuster"

G

·
I would think all is well with the chain.....:cool:

That hump thingie is the adjuster ..... Factory stock was a maintenance thing every now and again on doing....Not that it isn't fun to work on these to keep them in good running order, mind you...

What the M-6 does is cut down on the work by keeping a adjustment going on....Less maintenance on your end of things....
It also keeps the chain tight on acceleration and deceleration...factory stock doesn't allow that to happen....It always has slack in the chain.....

A good investment and up-grade for the shoe if indeed you see the need for replacement.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts