Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know i know... all iron heads leak. I am curious to know if there is something other than what I see as a topical problem - to hopefully avoid pulling the cover back off. On the primary side the lower forward most nut leaks from behind the washer but the gasket is dry where the cover seals to the case. Same with the alan bolt which is the next hole back on the bottom of the cover. Help is appreciated, maybe something easy... do these bolts need thread sealant? Thanks! Posted some pics of how it looks at this point - rode it around the block for the first time since tearing it down a few months ago - aesthetics left but i think I'm going good...

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sometimes its a warped cover most times it could be were the allen screws into the thread has a hairline crack so it will weep. Could be you over torched the allen and the gasket was compromised many things can cause that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
First up, Ironheads don't all leak. They are a good oil tight engine if assembled right, as they were when new.

A pic of where the leak is would be helpful, as to what exact "nut" is leaking.
Stuff like the primary adjuster nut and primary adjuster pivot stud nut on post-76 models needs a new copper washer under it, as does the nut on the clutch cable adjuster nut. The copper washers get hard with use and start to leak.

Best primary gasket to use is the one with the silicon bead built into the gasket.
+1 on look for cracks where overtorqued screws go into the cases.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Sounds like you just need to replace or anneal the copper washer that is (or should be) there...as long as it's the one I think you are referring to.

PICS!? ;-)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will take pics of the leaks tonight. I also agree that this motor should not leak which is why I'm after these 2 drops

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If you have it down to those two, you are doing good. I always replace the copper washer on the adjuster bolt, and apply a little hondabond/yamabond to the washer and then put the nut on. You could do the same thing on the allen primary bolt, and washers on the primary cover allens is recommended too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics as promised. You can see a drop on the allen bolt just above the kickstand and the nut to the left of that at the front of the cover (just in front of the shifter in the pic) is the major culprit.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts