Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question, did the Ironhead jugs come with a black wrinkle finish or has a lot of people just finished them that way.

Mine has the black wrinkle and I want to remove it and paint them a dark/medium gray.

Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
dude that is a sweet looking bike why would you want to paint the motor that grey color

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I always use wrinkle, to help disapate the heat. The more surface area to leach heat away from the heads and cylinders, is a good thing. But nobody is making you keep it that way. But the wrinkle paint does help with cooling.

·
Registered
586 Posts
The ones I've seen that were original were a chassis black - not shiny, but not dull, either. I looked at an original XLCR a while back and they were simply black.

I did mine that way; turned out fine.

Nice scoot, too!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Harley never used wrinkle,just a semi-gloss black. They are silver thru '69. Wrinkle does not disipate heat,that's an old bikers tale. Any coating slows the disipation of heat, the thicker the coating the slower the heat disipation. In the old days we used to see XLR's with no paint from time to time. They just sprayed the cylinders and heads down WD-40 after the race to keep them from rusting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
And holes in the cooling fins and everything else anybody could think of to keep those things from running hot.Remember the factory iron XR-750 road racers at Daytona in 71-72? 3 oil coolers and still fried!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys and thanks for the kind words. The wrinkle finish on the bike is starting to get crusty around the top so Im considering taking it all off and just painting it a simple silver, gray or back to a simple black like chuckspeed mentioned. Maybe a good winter project. Best way with a wheel and some sand paper?

Ive had the bike for a couple months and didnt like the yellow, so I sold all the yellow tins, found a FX tank and am now in the works to making it my own.

Here it is in the garage now. Oh and thats my sons Schwinn seat, just wanted to see what it looked like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.