Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question (prob easy for yall) Im about to but a 82 sportster with 7000 miles on it.. My question is it ran for about 5 min and then stopped... Im getting power to the coil but nothing to the plugs!?!? My first thaught is the coils? Im new to harleys and dont know much about them...

Thanks Fellas

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I know you said you aren't getting power to the plugs, but anytime I start troubleshooting a Sportster ignition problem I start with fresh plugs. Cheap place to start and eliminate one trouble source. I use ACs or Autolites.
Larry T

·
Registered
992 Posts
..and then measure continuity or ohms of secondary coil to rule out coil fault.
next =, check leads to rule out leads ..are they solid copper core?

check for cracks in coil too , HV short to earth.

dead after 5 mins??
heat expansion some where breaking the circuit ??

·
Registered
317 Posts
It has the first gen Harley electronic ignition, happens alot to them. And remember, your dealing with an electronic item that is 30 years old.

·
Registered
457 Posts
It has the first gen Harley electronic ignition, happens alot to them. And remember, your dealing with an electronic item that is 30 years old.
second generation...I am such an ass to say so. The power to the coil was checked? With a volt meter? or a test light? When the engine is cranking the negative side of the coil should flash the test light. If it doesn't flash go back downs stream to the ignition module. make sure it has a good ground. And buy a service manual like Dragstew says.

·
Registered
317 Posts
second generation...I am such an ass to say so. The power to the coil was checked? With a volt meter? or a test light? When the engine is cranking the negative side of the coil should flash the test light. If it doesn't flash go back downs stream to the ignition module. make sure it has a good ground. And buy a service manual like Dragstew says.
Curious, what was the first gen?

·
Registered
317 Posts
The first was a kinda a leftover from the days of the points....Still used the point High Ohm coil...and also the advance fly-weights. 79 year model only..
Thanks. Learn something every day

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Yep, the points/EI wars again. I think the last one was awarded to EI. But I still like points better. You can diagnosis the points with vision, the EI needs a meter. But then, EI has better fire. I go for points on all my bikes, but then, I am a old codger, who was weaned on points. I also like generators better than alternators too. So what the fuck do I know?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.