Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out the set-up and where to mount the pedal for the foot clutch. Anyone have any inspirational pics (close-ups would be nice).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I tried it with a Triumph...home made controls. Looked great on paper, welded up nice, looked great on the bike...worked like shit. Swung on a 6 to 1 ratio so it depressed easily but it would not engage/disengage smoothly. I swithed back to a hand clutch...there is a guy in West Pa who is working on a hydralic foot for triumphs. Maybe he has something for Ironheads...I have pick of my cable attempt if your interested.

www.raskcycle.com

·
Registered
264 Posts
Aw geeze.Not another one.Jockeys on any bike that wasn't born with one is such a step back.Ever had one with a suicide pedal? Aptly named.Another T.V. show gimmick/fad.Welded bars are back and raked trees.Slugs must be due any day now.If you have to have the latest **** item,for your own sake run a STRONG front brake and a kill tether.You'll really enjoy that suicide pedal in stop and go traffic especially on upgrades.Finding neutral in a damn big hurry can be fun too.Forget feathering the clutch much anymore.If you get into a close one you gotta keep that pedal down,find neutral and hit the brake all at the same time.Pull the kill tether. Good luck! -Strat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
maybe we should get back in the minivan...

stratocaster said:
Aw geeze.Not another one.Jockeys on any bike that wasn't born with one is such a step back.Ever had one with a suicide pedal? Aptly named.Another T.V. show gimmick/fad.Welded bars are back and raked trees.Slugs must be due any day now.If you have to have the latest **** item,for your own sake run a STRONG front brake and a kill tether.You'll really enjoy that suicide pedal in stop and go traffic especially on upgrades.Finding neutral in a damn big hurry can be fun too.Forget feathering the clutch much anymore.If you get into a close one you gotta keep that pedal down,find neutral and hit the brake all at the same time.Pull the kill tether. Good luck! -Strat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ever ride an ass slapper in rush hour traffic? or how about one with no front brake on a steep hill??? there are reasons for things evolve for reasons.
Yeah and the whole jockey shift is a trend that is coming back around, and with all trends every joe cool johnny come lately jumps on. Then if someoene that does not buy into the trend says anything...they are just lame, and should drive a minivan...until owning a minivan becomes the trend.

Just ride what you want and dont worry about how cool it looks. If you like jockey shift then ride it, if you never rode one, try it out...and I am sure you will either learn fast or fuck up. But dont bitch about someone seeing things differently.

John O said:
maybe we should get back in the minivan...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea... This is great and all but I still see no pics.

P.S. I could care less if anyone thinks it's cool/lame/wannabe etc...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Joey said:

P.S. I could care less if anyone thinks it's cool/lame/wannabe etc...
thank god...a voice of reason...do what you want to do, and thats all...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
some of the old heads around here might remember this. there was a freak brothers cartoon story where freddy buys an old panhead chopper with a jockey/suicide setup and takes off in traffic. he comes to his first red light at a busy intersection and tries the clutch/brake/neutral/one foot down trick and the bike goes down and eats his lunch.
the next panel has him walking in the door at home all chewed up and he's telling his brother "i'm gonna buy me a honda and chop it !" :D
i wish i could find a copy of that.

·
Registered
625 Posts
i really enjoy riding jockeyshifts with suicide clutches.
it does take practice but once you learn it you never forget...plus its alot of fun...

as for your ironhead application.. i worked it all out once in my head and on paper with patterens drawn and everyhting but sold the bike before i built it....i also hunted the patterns to send ya but i have lost them as well..
anyways.. here was my basic game plan.
it was on a 74 righthand shift with FWD controls.

run a cable from your clutch to your left pedal building a adjustible bracket home for the cable housing.(im sure you have seen this somewhere just think of adjustible hand lever))
to actually get a "jockey"type shift i planned out linkage from the shifter to the brake crossover shaft and building a lever off of it.
for your rear brake run a cable (again with said built adjustible bracket home )and run the cable back to your drum.
that was about the sum of it.
i just never got around to doing it.

seems like i had seen a picture of something close in a magizine and thats what gave me the idea..that and cause i was always told i couldnt do it...

butche

·
Registered
396 Posts
Joey said:

it may help to explain the 4:1 a little

the pedal portion is 4-5" from the pivot point to the end
the cable needs to attach to the short arm of the pedal
1" from the pivot point

·
Registered
396 Posts
the two main considerations on a sporty would be the travel of the pedal

put a stop somewhere for both directions

or else that release mechanism will pop like a weasel

or itll flop backwards

and that bites

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
****** said:
the two main considerations on a sporty would be the travel of the pedal

put a stop somewhere for both directions

or else that release mechanism will pop like a weasel

or itll flop backwards

and that bites
Thanks homes. Just what I was looking for.

·
Registered
68 Posts
here ya go----click on the link for some pics of my '68. i took a stock cable, cut off the handlebar end fitting, pulled the housing off & cut it to the right length. then i cut the forward control pedal up , rotated the short stub to the right position & rewelded it. fabbed a bracket & it all works great!!! the pic was when i had it mocked up & working---looks neater now.
btw, not a problem in traffic.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=364052220&photoID=1412885750031155806&security=mvFOEAhttp://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action

·
Registered
27 Posts
Joey,
Attached are some pics of the jockey for my 65/70....The shifter is sleeved thru the down tube to the left hand and connected to the shift lever via linkage. the clutch assembly is cable operated, held in place by the black bracket bolted to the front engine mount. The cable then attaches to the forward controls. The swing is 6 to 1. In theory it worked well, in reality not so...triumph clutches are tight and the throw is short.....I just couldn't get a feel for it.<O:p></O:p>
As was voiced by a few anti jockeys it would have been real dangerous to run with. A hand clutch is a bit easier. <O:p></O:p>
Didn't mean to insult anyone with the minivan comment...god forbid any of us have to sell whatever we're riding to buy one. My thoughts.<O:p></O:p>

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sweetness. All the pics help give me a better idea of what I want. Thanks all.

And minivans suck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts