Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 77 xl with swing arm and stock oil tank, with forward controls.

Im having some issues finding some decent pipes to fit this combo....What are you guys running and where did you get them (if you didnt make em)

pics would be sweet!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya I have been, jsut looking for some unique options, I may have to resort making some, but I'm just trying to get a bit more info and visualization if possible.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awe, I've looked and looked and I think Im just gonna make some....
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/,11302.html?baseNo=91013872#tabcontent
speedway as some very reasonable "make your own kits" even if its 18ga....

but now, the question is, what is/are the best performance for a set of pipes....2 into 1's? 40" drags....shotguns?

I'm not going to baffle or muffler or any of that, but want to get some decent back pressure

any suggestions or time tested know-hows?

·
Registered
689 Posts
2 into 1 with some sort of baffle or muffler for best rideabailty. drag pipes if you want to go to the drag strip.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
but now, the question is, what is/are the best performance for a set of pipes....2 into 1's? 40" drags....shotguns?
Stock motor on the street, no particular type has a distinct advantage. It'll be all about the style you prefer and the noise that bothers you the least.

Bob

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah I tried drag pipes. They look cool but don't perform for everyday riding. I am in the middle of building a 2 into 1 with SuperTrapp discs. I will post some pics soon.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
what is the preferred length to get to the "1" from 2....farther away or closer?
You're over thinking this. Just put the collector where it looks right to your eye and clears the controls. On a highly tuned motor with lots of cam overlap and a narrow power band the correct pipe length (or primary pipe length on a 2 into 1), diameter, and configuration can be critical. On a stock or lightly modified motor--- not so much. There isn't any pipe set up that's going to change the power, plus or minus, enough to worry about. It's an 'ol Ironhead, not a Hyabusa.:D

Bob

·
Registered
364 Posts
A 2-into-1 system, with some kind of baffling, will give you good overall street performance & rideability.
As far as length goes --- the headers, whether side-by-side or one stacked atop another, just need to clear all of your foot controls & kicker (if you've got one).
Mine slip into the collector just past the sprocket cover.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're over thinking this. Just put the collector where it looks right to your eye and clears the controls. On a highly tuned motor with lots of cam overlap and a narrow power band the correct pipe length (or primary pipe length on a 2 into 1), diameter, and configuration can be critical. On a stock or lightly modified motor--- not so much. There isn't any pipe set up that's going to change the power, plus or minus, enough to worry about. It's an 'ol Ironhead, not a Hyabusa.:D

Bob
Ha! wurd~ Im just livin ina a dream and the Ironhead is the magic carpet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts