Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '77 Ironhead that I am quite fond of; kinda want it for my ol lady but I really like it myself. Anyway, she leaks like a bitch and the primary chain is stretched out like a Fifth Ward whore. So I am wondering if I can put a nice dry belt in there and get rid of the oil leak while I'm at it. I want to keep the vintage look on the outside. Any input?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Just replace the chain and put in a new tgicker gasket... Ask dragstews what manufacuter he recommends for that it was a thicker double foam one with a steel core

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
Roach has done this before....

Perhaps he will chime in...

==========================================

As I see it...Would have to drill a feed oil hole from the tanny side, after the door has been sealed up. for lube to make its way to the low-gear bushing...

It is fed from the primary to the counter shaft plug that is pressed into the door, then all the way though the shaft to low gear...Being sealed that will no longer occur...

============================================

Just replace the chain and put in a new tgicker gasket... Ask dragstews what manufacuter he recommends for that it was a thicker double foam one with a steel core
Made by Comedic ....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
192 Posts
It can be done but rarely is because the tranny and primary share the same oil on an Ironhead. So you have to weld up the trap door where the oil flows between primary and tranny, put a seal on the gearshift shaft, and clutchgear, seal the joint between trapdoor and main case and then add a filler cap to the top of the tranny and a drain plug to the bottom.

Way more dickin around than its worth. New $50 primary chain and a gasket with inbuilt silicone bead and a new copper washer under the drain plug will get you sorted out a lot easier.
And on the 77, watch out for the primary adjuster slipper wearing through to the bare metal, so might as well replace it while your in there, with an aftermarket unit that has the thicker, later model nylon slipper shoe.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Thanks Jesse running on 3 hours of sleep again.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas. I didn't know the chain was that cheap. Real wide flat chain? Looks like three chains next to each other, about 1 1/8", is that the stock size chain? The slipper looks to still be doing its job, the chain is just real loose, about a half inch slack. Do they have any adjustment?

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Its a three row link chain, and yes you should beable to adjust it, I have done a dry primary on a Ironhead, BIG PAIN IN THE Ass I was saying....:rolleyes:

Trying to keep oil in the trap door is a real bitch, I will Not do that again.

Do whats been reconmended, And remember a oily Harley is not a Rusty Harley.......

·
Registered
101 Posts
1/2" slack is not too loose, 5/8" to 7/8" cold and 3/8" to 5/8" hot. Get an AFM primary gasket from Cometic they work great.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a three row link chain, and yes you should beable to adjust it, I have done a dry primary on a Ironhead, BIG PAIN IN THE Ass I was saying....:rolleyes:

Trying to keep oil in the trap door is a real bitch, I will Not do that again.

Do whats been reconmended, And remember a oily Harley is not a Rusty Harley.......
HaHa no shit. I'll have to measure the slack and see about adjusting it. I'll just get a new seal, my garage floor is already stained anyway.

·
Registered
935 Posts
you can adjust the chain tensioner but not the chain itself as it runs off two fixed position shafts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts