Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the wire routed that goes from the distributor to the coil? Does it go through that little angled hole in the bottom of the "circle"? Where do it come out? Factory service manual pics suck.

1974 sportster, electric start, points ignition.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Love,
terd ferguson

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind. I found searching the net the wire goes through the hole and comes out down around the oil pump somewhere and then on to the coil.

So I was trying to feed the wire through the hole and it wouldn't budge. I shined my light in there and it revealed the problem. When whoever un-wired the bike, they must have tried to pull the wire from the oil pump side through the hole and the female spade connector got lodged in the hole.

So now I have to figure out an easy way to grab hold of that spade connector down in the hole to get it out. I need some forceps but don't have any, lol.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the spade connector out. Next question is, how is this wire routed on the stock bike from where it comes out at the oil pump to get to the coil??? I'm trying to keep things neat and just wondering how the factory did it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Terd, you are talking to yourself. lol. Originaly, from the points through the hole supplied in the motor, under the transmission, up the down tubes, and forward up the backbone, under the fuel tank and hooked to the coil. Some people run them forward from the points and up the front down tubes, to the coil. I usually run it forward, since that takes less wire, and is just as easy to hide as going towards the rear.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Terd, you are talking to yourself. lol. Originaly, from the points through the hole supplied in the motor, under the transmission, up the down tubes, and forward up the backbone, under the fuel tank and hooked to the coil. Some people run them forward from the points and up the front down tubes, to the coil. I usually run it forward, since that takes less wire, and is just as easy to hide as going towards the rear.
Terd,
Shovithead covered it pretty well. But he forgot to tell you to twist it up and tie it in knots with all the other wires under the seat. :D

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fellers! I'm trying to get my wiring done in between monster thunderstorms we've been having every day so I can crack this thing off and go around the block.

And yeah, sometimes I talk to myself, lol. :D

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Dragstews: Hahaha.....I do that alot too....
So far they hadn't threw a net over me...:D......YET..!!

Dragstews, they keep trying to throw one over me, but so far I have escaped. Just remember, talking to yourself is not a crime, nor is answering yourself, as long as the answers are correct.

Terd, I would not worry about wiring to factory specs, unless you are doing a restoration. Just run the wires where they look good, or are invisible. Remember, you can always come back and rewire if you are not happy with the results. Now, go get that coil wire on, and get your ass in the saddle. Oh yeah, don't forget to wire the bug deflector. Run the wire anywhere you want.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out what kind of self respecting biker named terd ferguson that talks to himself doesn't have pot passers, I mean forceps, laying around? Or maybe he does, and that's why he is talking to himself!!!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm still trying to figure out what kind of self respecting biker named terd ferguson that talks to himself doesn't have pot passers, I mean forceps, laying around? Or maybe he does, and that's why he is talking to himself!!!
Two words.

Bong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.