Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,I need veteran experience here,I have been riding the shit out of my ironhead since the repaint and all,I am hearing/feeling what sounds like the clutch is slipping.I tried adjusting it as per the book,loosen the big nut inside the primary,turn the inner/small screw in til it get harder to turn,adjust cable and tighten the screw and nut back into place.I get about 20 miles and it feels like slippage.how hard is it to change the clutch and what would be the best clutch to use for it.Also,if the primary fluid is low,would it cause the same symptom?what fluid is best to use in the primary.thank you for all help offered.Scott

·
Registered
935 Posts
after slipping for a while you may just need to clean the plates .they may have got glazed from slippin.soaking in carbon tetrachloride is the way it used to be done havent messed with one for a long time though. straight 50 weight .dont use synthetic

·
Registered
190 Posts
Are you turning the small screw 1/4 turn out after it makes solid contact? Sometimes when you tighten down the nut, the screw turns inward just a little. I use a sparkplug socket so I can run a flatblade inside and hold the screw as I tighten down the nut.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Are you turning the small screw 1/4 turn out after it makes solid contact? Sometimes when you tighten down the nut, the screw turns inward just a little. I use a sparkplug socket so I can run a flatblade inside and hold the screw as I tighten down the nut.
This may be what you need to do, but after slipping for a while, you may still need to pull the clutch and replace or clean and skuff.

I would try the above adjustment, and see if it still slips. If it does, remove, clean and skuff. If that still slips, you need a new clutch.

The quarter turn out,is what you are looking for.

Run the same oil in the primary, that you run in the motor.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Scott,

I now run a Barnett Extra Plate Kevlar setup in my early XLCH, not cheap but I swear by it now, as others said your metal plates must be in good shape, the Barnett Kit supplys an additional Metal plate, over all they claim 14% more grabbing surface

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys,I am going to try to adjust it when it dries out,Monte03,how hard is it to change the clutch if I have to go that route,can I get away with just the disk sets or do I have to do the basket as well?Scott

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thank you guys,I am going to try to adjust it when it dries out,Monte03,how hard is it to change the clutch if I have to go that route,can I get away with just the disk sets or do I have to do the basket as well?Scott
No Basket change just clean it well with Brake Kleen,
Barnett has been making HD Clutch Parts forever, the plates are all thinner so that Xtra Plate will fit, I followed the instructions but I also spent the time making sure the plates slid clean along the clutch hub, I was skeptical as this was a dry to wet conversion (69 Sportster) but now have about 1500 miles on the set up, not one issue, make a cheap clutch plate tool outta a steel coat hanger, make two rods with a little 90 deg hook at the end..
I guess Old Dogs Can Learn..

·
Banned
438 Posts
Before adjusting your clutch on the primary make sure you loosen the cable all the way. I have had many a 80s Ironhead come in with slipping clutches and found on a few of them that the clutch cable was adjusted before the primary was adjusted.
When that happens the primary will alread be actuated and you will not get good feedback from the primary adjuster.

1 loosen clutch cable and make sure it isnt binding
2 loosen then adjust primary clutch adjuster
3 adjust clutch cable then see if it works

If that doesnt work and you have to take the clutch apart. If the metal plates are straight and not hammered reuse those but since your already there do the friction plates.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I bought my '79 it did the same thing. The previous owner had put in "race" clutch springs. After about a month of adjusting and readjusting the clutch I ended up putting in stock springs and no more issues, outside of general adjustments. the smaller spring wouldn't stay centered and would cause the clutch to drag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts