Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle or wiring my bike and need to know how to wire the bosch regulator. I see that there are 5 terminals but I believe that I only need to use 3 of those terminals. 2 from the generator and 1 to the battery at the ignition. Just not sure where to place those wires. I am running a battery and distributor on my kick only 66xl. also not sure on which is the field and ground on my generator. please help me get her going. thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am in the middle or wiring my bike and need to know how to wire the bosch regulator. I see that there are 5 terminals but I believe that I only need to use 3 of those terminals. 2 from the generator and 1 to the battery at the ignition. Just not sure where to place those wires. I am running a battery and distributor on my kick only 66xl. also not sure on which is the field and ground on my generator. please help me get her going. thanks.
Ok I'm going out to my garage shortly and I will get you the exact terminals but i also wanted to make sure you know that the terminal on top is a ground and that it has to be grounded or else it won't function correctly. Make It a good ground too

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ok
A terminal from gen goes to the d+
F goes to df
Battery goes to the B+ and I ran another wire from the same point to the key switch
The terminal labeled 61 on the bottom left has nothing going to it
The ground is the one on top next to the mounting bolt. Very important.

Mine is a 72 kick only but not a distributor. Bosch regulator.

Also dont forget to polarize the gen after everything is hooked up. Mine is a cycle electric gen that never has to be polarized.

"Generator on motorcycle and connected to regulator: Connect one end of a jumper wire to the generator armature (A) terminal. Momentarily touch the other end of the jumper wire to the positive terminal of the battery.This restores the magnetism.Remove jumper"

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try to make this a little simpler for me. There are 3 terminals up top and 2 down low. Which wires go whrere. Upper left, upper middle. Upper right, lower left and lower right. Where do the wires go now?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Ok
A terminal from gen goes to the d+
F goes to df
Battery goes to the B+ and I ran another wire from the same point to the key switch
The terminal labeled 61 on the bottom left has nothing going to it
The ground is the one on top next to the mounting bolt. Very important.

Mine is a 72 kick only but not a distributor. Bosch regulator.

Also dont forget to polarize the gen after everything is hooked up. Mine is a cycle electric gen that never has to be polarized.

"Generator on motorcycle and connected to regulator: Connect one end of a jumper wire to the generator armature (A) terminal. Momentarily touch the other end of the jumper wire to the positive terminal of the battery.This restores the magnetism.Remove jumper"
Try this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That diagram is the one that I am using. I also have a diagram for a mag. The one with the mag shows a bosch regulator with 5 wires attached. The pionts diagram shows only 3 wires going to the regulator. If they used a bosch regulator for the points diagram then I wouldnt have to bother you guys but they didnt. I believe:
The field wire goes from the generator to the upper right terminal on the bosch
The ground wire on the generator goes to the upper left terminal on the bosch
I run a wire from the Battery terminal on the ignition to the lower right terminal on the bosch
Is the upper middle terminal a ground that I should run to the frame?

Also how do I determine which is the field terminal on the generator.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Next to the poles on your generator, there should be a "A"(armature) and the other one, should have a "F" (Field coils) I believe the Bosch reg has a negative sign, on one pole. That has to be gounded, or you will not have a working regulator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts