Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just jumped into a 75 Ironhead project this week which runs but the clutch would not engage. So after messing around with the adjustment I opened it up and found the basket had broken bolts and welds so the bolts were spinning freely. After I got them off by breaking the bolts I found the hub has some play and the inside has a lot of chatter or scoring. Do I need to replace the hub? The drive inside has no wobble just the hub. Whats the best way to tackle this issue.

Thanks, Nick

G

·
More then likely you will need to dig a little deeper with replacing the bearings in the door, clutch gear and clutch basket and perhaps also the mainshaft depending on the ware factor...

The bad part about this is once you pull the door....Your going to find more worn out parts to replace....Shift forks, gate, maybe a few gears...

Being 40 years old...Lets hope that it has seen service from past owners.
If not....Well....maybe it's has low miles on the clock and easy riding...But don't think so with the clutch being in the shape that you say it is...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main drive looks good no wear or play. The clutch is new I think the guy put a new clutch on tightened it to tight and it started breaking bolts and welds. He said the shifting just kept gettin worse and he did not want to mess with it. I know these are like pandoras box the bike has 22000 miles the last owner only had it for a year and never had the clutch right and traded me for my chopped XS 650. Thanks for the help do they make new clutch hubs.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
yes they do ... you can go stock (ebay for old harley stuff or ask in the want ad section after 50 posts) or get repop stuff via v-twin, or ( and this is how I went cause I got it at a steal ) Barnett Scorpian Clutch

http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/scorpion_clutch_components.aspx?cat_id=1&type=SP&prod_id=7

keep in mind with the barnet clutch you will ned to do a slight bit of machining work on the vents on the top if you are running a stock ball and ramp cluth release system.

oh and pictures of the entire tranny set up will help a ton

·
Registered
317 Posts
Your up in Fenton, DeMasters on Gratiot in Roseville has stock replacement parts for that if ya just want to get it rolling. 586-415-8089 is the number

G

·

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thats my plan on my 74, scorpion and hydro. Already have all the good Andrews gears and shafts, and a sweet homemade trap door given to me by my dragster buddy

·
Registered
364 Posts
Scorpion + HydroClutch 7184 = ironhead bliss.
I got one of the early ones from Machinist Mike & have been mercilessly beating on it from Day One with ZERO problems.

It's SO simple to adjust that I once tore down (I had used a shitty lockwasher on the pushrod) & re-adjusted the release travel on it with only two wrenches and a piece of twig to measure the distance --- all on top a picnic table during a run.

As long as you don't fuck around trying other sizes & use an 11/16" bore master cylinder as recommended, you'll wonder how you ever got by without one.
http://rjarrell77.wix.com/hyrdroclutch

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just so I am clear the scorpion clutch comes with everything I need except the hub bearings? Not sure I need such a nice clutch but if I am going to do it i guess i should do it right. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Thanks for all the help I was planning on switching the clutch to hydraulic if I did not go over my budget on all the other parts needed to get this thing running. I striped the bike down so the motor is on the bench is there any thing I should check while its there. I am cleaning the hardtail up right it was hacked up pretty good.

Thanks, Nick

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Scorpion does not come with a clutch basket either..... No a super nice clutch is not needed it is just super nice. A stock clutch setup properly maintained will do fine and save you about 750 dollars

G

·
Matt is telling it like it is....

The OEM clutch works OK if it's up to par.
May be a little wimpy at over 70 HP

The design of it with the one spring makes for a bit of chatter with release cause for the spring being not an even push....

The Barnett has many springs as the Old 70 and back Sporties had. This makes for a better release being the pressure plate is being pushed by many springs keeping the plate even...

There is a tamer kit that the aftermarket has for the 71-up clutch that helps in the plate releasing more evenly = Less jerk and chatter...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok this is great I decided to start opening up the motor and seeing what I find. I was hoping to keep the build under 1500 in parts since I already have a ton of swap meet finds that I am going to add to the build. If the motor is in good shape then I might spring for a scorpion clutch and hydraulic release. Thanks for the help I found the stock parts and have it priced out with a hub bearing just crossing my fingers for now but I know the motor could drain my bank account quick.

Thanks again, Nick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.