Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha everyone, I'm Otis from the 50th state. My passion is in old harley davidsons but I can appreciate anything with two wheels. This is my '58 local boy that I am about to sell to fund other projects.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Polock Joe said:
cool bike...what is the story behind local boys? How long has that style been around? What popularized it on the island?
Having been born, raised and riding many years on the islands, this is what I know.

Local Boy style choppers.

They have been around a long time, most old (vintage) Hawaii bikes are WWII ex-military Knuckles/Flatty FL's, chopped many, many times over the years. Just like on the mainland, the custom scene in Hawaii has had its period pieces, long bikes, Ness types, etc., but the "Local Boy" style is the one consistant style that has been around since the original WWII bikes.

Otis has a REALLY good authentic example of a local boy. More often they have more colorful paint, but his bike is spot-on, its the real deal.

This is the thing with a local boy more than any other custom bike: A real local boy Harley is not complete as just a motorcycle alone. The combination of the bike and rider is the complete package.

I hate to stereotype, but for example, Otis as seen in that picture is the correct sized person to own a local boy, minimum. You don't see skinny biker dudes riding one, EVER. You don't see a H.O.G. wannabe riding one, ever. And you don't see the leather wearing types on one either. I really cannot explain it correctly, you have to live it or see it to understand.

I really wish a current Hawaii club member, Alii, Koa Puna, etc. would post some more facts and pics of local boys, they are very, very cool and unique.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
i lived on the big island for about a year and i've never seen a reverence for harleys anywhere else like the hawiians have. i was invisible to the locals until it got out that i was a harley rider. after that i was blood. even got my house from a biker on oahu. check it out, hawaiian style stilt house sitting on a bluff on an old farm over looking the ocean and 2 minutes from a beach. yard full of fruit trees and flowers etc. and the best part was the rent was $350 a month when other houlies were paying 10 times that to live in a subdivision. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts