Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. i'm jimi and i've been pokin' around this board for about a month. it's time for me to sign in. i'm not a biker. i'm a greaser that loves machines with engines and wheels. i've owned a couple bikes, but it was years ago. i'm mostly a car guy. i've owned a bunch of 50s and 60s cars and i've been hurting for a bike for prolly 8 years(it's taken that long to convince my wife to let me have one). she said i couldnt BUY a bike, so i found a loophole. i traded a 52 chevy for a 71 BSA. so now i'm the new guy here. if i need to take some hasing for being new to bikes or this board bring it on, i can hack it.

now for the question- so far on this sickle i cannot find any metric fasteners. i thought the brits went to the metric system 20 years before us. when did these bikes switch?

it turns out i know a handful of folks here. sorry about the long intro. and thanx for the advice. i'me sur i'll have questions in the future.

later gators, jimi.

·
Banned
163 Posts
beatcad said:
hello all. i'm jimi and i've been pokin' around this board for about a month. it's time for me to sign in. i'm not a biker. i'm a greaser that loves machines with engines and wheels. i've owned a couple bikes, but it was years ago. i'm mostly a car guy. i've owned a bunch of 50s and 60s cars and i've been hurting for a bike for prolly 8 years(it's taken that long to convince my wife to let me have one). she said i couldnt BUY a bike, so i found a loophole. i traded a 52 chevy for a 71 BSA. so now i'm the new guy here. if i need to take some hasing for being new to bikes or this board bring it on, i can hack it.

now for the question- so far on this sickle i cannot find any metric fasteners. i thought the brits went to the metric system 20 years before us. when did these bikes switch?

it turns out i know a handful of folks here. sorry about the long intro. and thanx for the advice. i'me sur i'll have questions in the future.

later gators, jimi.
I don't think the British accepted and changed over to metric until the 80's.....

you won't find any BSA planted metrics

now in the late 60's they switched over to unified(pretty much SAE) and superceded CEI fasteners with BSC..... think they dropped the bastard whitworth threads but still managed to slip in an odd 26 or 27 tpi hurdle here and there

as far as wrenches.... I have all the right ones in snap on...... but if you have a good set of standard and metrics..... you'll find very few fastners you'll need the "correct" wrench to fit

and I know that sounds horrible but it's true

congrats on the 71...... it is the best of the BSA twins and you won't have to upgrade much to keep it reliable

73 was the last year for BSA

now the later triumph twins had some metric bearings

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
What's up lil' buddy!!! Glad to see you finally made it on here.

Everybody, beatcad, beatcad, everybody. Jimi's good people. Willing to lend a helping hand at a drop of a hat and has just about every weird, obscure part somewhere on his person or in his trunk when you are working.

"oh you need a gasket for a two barrel carb made in germany during wwII, i have one right here." that's typical jimi.

Speakin of which...hey man, you got any of that nifty red fuel line laying around? i don't know what size yet but, i can find out.

Sparky

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx gang.
hackasaw-i've got the basics for metric tools but i have a shitload selection of sae. i'm glad it's not just me wondering why my 'merican tools fit so nice.

sparky-yeah, i got prolly 2 or 3 feet of that stuff, but i dont remember the size. i'll check and catch ya this weekend. and, hey...maybe you can take a decent pic of my bike to post here?

dirk- yeah it took a couple weeks, but i made it. good to see ya last weekend. didja get some good pix of the show?

fatass- the dome is ok. i've grown my hair out long to hide the scar. you keep yer eyes on the south-east and i'll keep the mid-east in line.

later gators.

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
i'll post some pics soon even though it's off topic. fuck it. scotland fucking rocks!

fatass said:
How's your head, Jimi?

Good to see ya around...I need to get back up that way and make sure you guys aren't fucking everything up.

BTW, how was Scotland, sparko?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I think I still have some Brit tools laying at the bottom of my tool box from when I have my Norton Commando. Perhaps I need to let them fly to a better home
beatcad said:

later gators, jimi.

·
mucho-rake
1,122 Posts
sparkymoffett said:
What's up lil' buddy!!! Glad to see you finally made it on here.

Everybody, beatcad, beatcad, everybody. Jimi's good people. Willing to lend a helping hand at a drop of a hat and has just about every weird, obscure part somewhere on his person or in his trunk when you are working.

"oh you need a gasket for a two barrel carb made in germany during wwII, i have one right here." that's typical jimi.

Speakin of which...hey man, you got any of that nifty red fuel line laying around? i don't know what size yet but, i can find out.

Sparky
sparky....is this "i dont give a damn if im wearing a smoking jacket, pour me another drink" jimi?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts