Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm kinda new here, but I've been lurking for a while. My name is Dave, I do a little bit of pinstriping on my free time, maybe I'll have my site up soon. I'm in college for mechanical Engineering, and hopefully i can finish that just a shade under a decade, 1 more year (maybe). Heres what im working on. This is my first build, and im doin it in my kitchen on a limited budget. It's a 1980 Suzuki GS850 i got for a few hundred bucks. Ive had it for about a year, and ive torn it completely apart, and rebuilt everything on it (engine, carbs, etc, etc) here is a before pic so you can get an idea:

and these pics were taken earlier tonight

it still needs a good bit of work, plus some pinstriping, and Im gonna letter "BEER BUDGET" on the side.

I hope to get either a xs650 or some british bike for my next try, and hopefully it will turn out better.

Input is appriciated.

Later
-Dave

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
that's what it's all about. takin what ya got and makin it yours. i think since you seem to like the roadracer style you should go ahead and loose the solo seat and go with a homemade roadracer seat.i also suggest you go rent mad max and watch it straight thru about 5 times in a row. then we'll talk :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i also suggest you go rent mad max and watch it straight thru about 5 times in a row. then we'll talk
I'm already one step ahead of ya

and i like that seat, but i too am not sure about the sprongs, maybe i can mount it on the frame.

on this bike im trying to get a cafe racer/bobber feel to it

and then after i watched "World's Fastest Indian" i decided i wanted my bars low. I thought the collest thing in that movie is at the begining when burt is about to race all those bikers on the beach, and he pulls up and he is about 2 feet lower then all of them. That kicked ass

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Dave said:
I'm already one step ahead of ya

and i like that seat, but i too am not sure about the sprongs, maybe i can mount it on the frame.

on this bike im trying to get a cafe racer/bobber feel to it

and then after i watched "World's Fastest Indian" i decided i wanted my bars low. I thought the collest thing in that movie is at the begining when burt is about to race all those bikers on the beach, and he pulls up and he is about 2 feet lower then all of them. That kicked ass
cut ya a piece of plywood about 18" long and trim it to follow the frame rails. put 2" of foam on it and wrap it with mexican blanket material.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
and for gods sake, superglue some roadkill to those down tubes. and put spikes on your helmet and wear lambswool chaps with a stainless steel cod piece. and silver toed cowboy boots. and welders goggles

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lilbill said:
cut ya a piece of plywood about 18" long and trim it to follow the frame rails. put 2" of foam on it and wrap it with mexican blanket material.
Thats actually kind of what i was considering, hmmmm

AP, whats up man, i haven't seen you around sketchkult in while. You know what i mean when i say lots of pinstripes, right?;) you should post some of your latest stuff

But i think i get the point, the seat sucks, ill see what i can figure out with my limited money and intellegence

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I dont technically have a "Motorcycles liscence" or "permit" and i dont technically know "How to drive a motorcycle" although i have driven dirt bikes a few time. But im just building the bike right now, I'll burn that bridge when i get to it

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Dave said:
oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I dont technically have a "Motorcycles liscence" or "permit" and i dont technically know "How to drive a motorcycle" although i have driven dirt bikes a few time. But im just building the bike right now, I'll burn that bridge when i get to it
when you get it running you can just ride it around in the house till you get the feel of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts