Jockey Journal Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just cuz a company has a website doesnt not mean they live by the computer! they are out building FRAMES and MOTORCYCLE parts.

remember some places arent a HUGE company.

its CRAZY in this day an age that noone wants to pick up the phone and call a place, or even better that if a company doesnt have a website then people think they aren't a company. I'd love to see someone build a bike with the majority of the parts NOT come from a company or place that has a website. i can name probably 20 places off the top of my head that make cool stuff and dont have a website. A lot of guys are missing out on good stuff because when someone mentions a part or service, someone asks "do they have a website" and if not it gets pushed under the rug.

or, better yet, when a companys website is down, people think they went out of business.

OR even BETTER. people think that just cuz there is a website that someone is a company...hell look at my website people think that all i do for a living is pinstripe....I HONESTLY get over 30 emails a day, even though im online all the time at work work, i cant get to them all.

not singling ya out or attackin ya penfifteen, not trying ta offend you or anything, but its just I see posts all the time about "hey is this company still around did they go outta business thier website is down"

if ya call and they blow ya off, ok then screw em'

also the 2rd or 4th post on that thread Trent said he could help ya!!

put it in perspective, they make cheap (as in money) good frames, it's going be hard to find one cheaper. there are tradeoffs.

lets talk about the guys that DONT have a website. they dont need a website. they build cool shit and thats that. look at freddy hernandez as an example.

·
Registered
160 Posts
you think it would be possible to try to start something like a Jockey Journal Rolodex that lists offline places people can recommend for parts...

might be a good compliment for offline places to be listed on a site such as this.

just a thought...
c

·
Registered
55 Posts
We're talking about Paughco...... a big company as far as bike parts go, not a one man operation. I've bought parts for another project from Pete and Jake's Hot Rod Part's (one of the biggest in the business) and the longest they took to return the email was next day, and that was from the owner of the company, in one case they returned my email within an hour!.....my point is that there are a number of companies selling frames and that if Paughco can't/won't return an email after a week I would rather give my businees to somebody who gives a shit!

·
Registered
726 Posts
penfifteen said:
We're talking about Paughco...... a big company as far as bike parts go, not a one man operation. I've bought parts for another project from Pete and Jake's Hot Rod Part's (one of the biggest in the business) and the longest they took to return the email was next day, and that was from the owner of the company, in one case they returned my email within an hour!.....my point is that there are a number of companies selling frames and that if Paughco can't/won't return an email after a week I would rather give my businees to somebody who gives a shit!
I think you're getting a little carried away. Fuck it keeps the prices down on the frames so fuck online ordering and all that shit. CALL THEM X infinity.........CALL THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
ah, the good life before the internet! :D its hard to believe that there are still some companies & shops that aren't internet savvy but its just the way it is...I'm sure they lose some business because of it but sometimes speaking to a person directly is better than the point-click-ship method that we have become accustomed to the past few years. if they are good at what they do, you will get a hold of them one way or another. sometimes its just not convenient. remember grasshopper: good things come to those who wait

hugs,
-Tom

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
penfifteen said:
Let's see, I've e-mailed Isky, Mid Fifties pickups, Gibbons Fiberglass and a few more that have never answered my e-mails. To me, it's no big deal. If I want to know about a part I call. Seems a lot quicker than e-mailing a question, waiting for the answer, then e-mailing another question that the first question brings to light and on and on and.... You can ask a lot of questions in one phone call.

You probably wouldn't like Paughco's service anyway. If they haven't changed in the last year, they build frames as the orders come in and they are usually 3 to 6 weeks behind. If you want one of their frames "off the shelf", you'll have better luck calling Mid-West, Mid-USA, or one of their other large stocking dealers.
Larry T

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
I get totally mad when I cant get an email back or a phone call back. You gotta realize that in this day and age that business is run on the internet and for the people that have to call, its really nice to get a live person as well.

When I started my business, customer service was my #1 priority. So if someone wants to order online, they can do it 24hours a day. If they want to call, we are there to answer the phone, and since its busy most of time we are getting a phone switch so no phone call gets a busy signal.

I run my business the way I expect to be treated and to get the parts I want.

We have taken so much business from other shops simply because we answer the phones, or reply to emails, or have a bike or product in stock...it goes a long way for most people.

For all the other shops out there...keep doing what your doing, its working perfect.

-Jason

·
Registered
139 Posts
Kickstart Motorcycle parts doesn't have a website,and they are huge,and are the greatest for customer service.If they do have a website,I don't wanna know about it.I'll continue living a lie

·
Registered
789 Posts
Scorcher said:
I get totally mad when I cant get an email back or a phone call back. You gotta realize that in this day and age that business is run on the internet and for the people that have to call, its really nice to get a live person as well.

For all the other shops out there...keep doing what your doing, its working perfect.-Jason
I'm with Scorcher Jason on this one. Bitching about a small company's web presence and "netiquette" (or lack thereof) on the Jockey Journal is like bitching about pussy at the Playboy Mansion. If there's a luddite out there who wants to do business in the 21st century without a website, good luck to him. For some of us, nocturnal web surfing and parts scavenging is our only option. I don't have a lot of time during business hours to chat with blacksmiths and craftsmen about motorcycle parts--I'm too busy trying to earn a living. I've played phone tag for entire weeks with clients, vendors and the like. Asynchronous written communication between myself and my parts vendors is a great way to eliminate doubt and to avoid ambiguity. If it takes someone 5 days to answer my question about axle spacers, so be it. In five days I could buy the same axle spacers from someone on eBay and eliminate headaches. And if my question is really important, I'll ask Jockey Journalists like Trent at Atomic or Wes at Four Aces; these guys know their shit and they dispense free wisdom willingly.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I missed the stuff on the other thread but the world is changing. Living in England and not having all the magazines and stuff the internet is the only way I can find out about a lot of stuff.

I generally don't even use email. If I can order online I'll put my order in and pay.

Thats how the world is going. Most companies in England don't have websites jsut shitty ads in the back of the mags that don't tell you what they sell etc. Spending a $1000 on a website would probably triple the amount of stuff they could sell.

·
Registered
436 Posts
halwade said:
I'm with Scorcher Jason on this one. Bitching about a small company's web presence and "netiquette" (or lack thereof) on the Jockey Journal is like bitching about pussy at the Playboy Mansion. If there's a luddite out there who wants to do business in the 21st century without a website, good luck to him. For some of us, nocturnal web surfing and parts scavenging is our only option. I don't have a lot of time during business hours to chat with blacksmiths and craftsmen about motorcycle parts--I'm too busy trying to earn a living. I've played phone tag for entire weeks with clients, vendors and the like. Asynchronous written communication between myself and my parts vendors is a great way to eliminate doubt and to avoid ambiguity. If it takes someone 5 days to answer my question about axle spacers, so be it. In five days I could buy the same axle spacers from someone on eBay and eliminate headaches. And if my question is really important, I'll ask Jockey Journalists like Trent at Atomic or Wes at Four Aces; these guys know their shit and they dispense free wisdom willingly.
What he said above.

This is my first bike owned, and somewhat built. I have "built" a couple of cars though. I get all the "easy to find" parts either from the parts store (usually impossible to find parts for what I am working on), then I resort to the internet. If I NEED a part that I am unsure of the fitment/application, I don't waste time using email, as the written word and spoken word are two different animals. I want to talk to the person, and he usually wants to sell me the right part. There are exceptions to that though. Most companies (either on, or off, the internet) weed themselves out of existence based on their values of helping a customer, be it by trying to make a buck off someone, or trying to create a good name for themselves. Even on the internet, good experience travels fast, but bad experience travels even faster. Look at us, we are arguing this over the internet. I think I am going to go out to the garage and weld something now.
Erron

·
Registered
936 Posts
It is an internet savvy world, and it is a necessary undertaking to modern business, but there have been some sad issues brought about by it. Number one is it has become apparent to me recently that there are a number of local brit part suppliers that have popped up. This would be a welcome site, especially saying English Motors closed, but its sad. Why? Because these guys wil ONLY sell thru the internet. They won't sell outright. So I'd have to pay shipping on a part I could drive 20 minutes for. That's they're choice, but it just seems sad. The death of the specialty parts store? Also, I miss going to the parts store, to shoot some shit, see some new things going on, get a line on somebody selling something somewhere. Granted its a nostalgia thing more than anything, because with the internet there's no open/close hours, no out-of-stocks, you meet some fresh people/ fresh ideas. Number two, is the ease with which scams come about. I address to you, one certain fellow with the initials CT, that exemplifies this. I think with the internet this scenario has become more prevalent than we realize, and possibly used to exist. And if the operation is small enough not much is usually done because of state jurisdictions/distance/flat out inability to contact for rectification.

The Blessed Curse.

The internet is a fact of modern business, but as consumers we should encourage non-internet reliant commerce as well.

I knwo this doesn't address the original issue, but I just felt like hearing myself type. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Back in my day we didn't have fancy "telephones" to call people on. I miss the old days of writing a letter by candle light and waiting for weeks for the reply. The anticipation is something you just can't buy.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My .02. With the internet ANY company has to be FLOODED with questions. So an immediate answer shouldn't be expected. As a respected small shop owner (and general all around know-it-all) I get asked for my opinions all the time. I try not to be rude, but how much $ is ANYONE'S time worth? I'm fairly generous with my knowledge/experience (15 years) but it pisses me off when I graciously spend 15-30 minutes (or more) with someone only to find out that they bought the part elsewhere/had someone else do the work. Its a double edged sword. So the next time your surfing the net at work on your boss' time or asking your indy a question that could be answered with a service manual (if you spent the money for it) try to think about what he's got going on the other end of the phone. TK.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.