Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was putting my internal throttle cable an grips back on and I noticed that when I pull back on the throttle like im giving it gas my throttle cable gets longer. I tried the other grib an it does the same thing. Is this normal for early panheads to have to roll the throttle forward to give it gas? The grips are the original ones that came off it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The old throttle set up for the linkerts was a "push" action on the wire for more gas. There is a different spiral available ("pull" action) for S&S and similar carbs.

Regards,
Geo.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I remember hearing something from an old Chicago biker, and this could be pure myth on his part or a bodged memory on mine, that some of the old police bikes were set up with a forward throttle. Maybe, again I might be remembering wrong, that is the setup you're dealing with.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The early HD internal throttles had a "push" cable that's solid wire. For chopper guys there was an aftermarket reversing linkage for a linkert so you could use an English type (or Barnett or MCM) throttle and external cable when you changed bars. The last of the HD internal throttles had a handlebar spiral machined the other direction for a "pull" throttle, used on the DC linkert, Tillotson and some Bendix carburetors.

HD did have the parts available to convert to left hand throttle and right hand shift (the Indian way.) This could maybe be the Chicago/police deal that Benny sorta remembers.

One guy in my club changed his bars and throttle, only never reversed the linkage. His throttle twisted the "wrong" way to go, and if you took your hand off, the spring would pull it wide open. He could ride it just fine. I tried it once around the parking lot, that was enough for me. This was in the early '70's.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
You can revers it by using the manual advance or left side spiral for the throtel side, that will make it into a pull.....Roach.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can revers it by using the manual advance or left side spiral for the throtel side, that will make it into a pull.....Roach.
This doesn't work. Both spirals are the same. They just appear to be opposite because one is getting rotated clockwise and one ccw due to the orientation of the bars.

You need to get the reverse spiral for pull.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts