Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
explaining motorcycles to a guy who's a car nut at work....trying to explain motors.......i was explaining the desireability and prices to him as well as some analogies...

blank is to cars as blank is to bikes...

Shovel = small block chevy
Knucklehead = hemi
panhead = nailhead? caddy?
flathead = flathead

springer = straight axle

rigid = coil overs

man i MUST be bored...but at the very least im sure i'll get one yo-yo who will post and say "how can you equivilate a shovelhead to a SBC?!?!" or someone will get thier panties in a bunch....

:)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I gotta go with Evo=SBC. Good, dependable, ho hum, engine.

Maybe Shovel=348/409. Don't make 'em any more, don't run quite as good as folks remember, but still real cool.

Old rigid=suicide front end. Not the best ride, but the "cool" factor more than offsets the drawbacks.

Larry T

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Teutle=Coddington
Foose=Ness or Bourget
Foster=Foster
Young=Young

Time to go work on something. Panhead=Anglia

Larry T

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think the Shovel would be like a BOP 455....the guys who want them.The Evo would be like a 305 SBC,318 Mopar or 302 Ford (not the old ones) Oh shit,now you guys got the Ford guys pissed at me!!!!It's kinda funny that someone (I know we are talking value here) would put an SBC in Evo category......although the Evo design has made more power than any previous stuff.Keep in mind that the SBC came out in 1955 and remained unchanged for almost 50 years.Workhorse for sure.

Maybe we should compare the bikes with actual cars.Any suggestions?

Crocker=Duesenberg

Kustom '50 Merc=chopped or bobbed Knuck

Jimmy Diesel

·
Registered
117 Posts
Although I respect Arlens early stuff-----Chip Foose has more talent than Ness and Roger Bourget combined.Please send all hate mail and negative replies to :

Boyd Coddington or Paul,Paulie or Sissy Mary Teutle.They'll build you a tribute to your hatred.Or something like that.

Jimmy Diesel

·
Registered
726 Posts
jimmydiesel said:
Although I respect Arlens early stuff-----Chip Foose has more talent than Ness and Roger Bourget combined.Please send all hate mail and negative replies to :

Boyd Coddington or Paul,Paulie or Sissy Mary Teutle.They'll build you a tribute to your hatred.Or something like that.

Jimmy Diesel
Bourget is no Foose but Foose is no Ness.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Honestly I think the Shovel should fall inline with the nailhead. Die hards are die hard, and they share some similar attributes. EVO = SBC, definitely.

Bobber = RPU or roadster reg.
Cafe = lakester, dirt tracker (depends on your flava)
Long chop = Low-rider or gasser (depends on reason for long chop)
Tall chop = ?
Rat rod = rat bike

·
Registered
936 Posts
Polock Joe said:
SBC=EVO

Common, reliable, hated by traditionalists, loved by people who appreciate power.
WAIT a minute, when did the Evo get real power?
I musta missed the memo on that one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.