Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a new project, I'm in need of good reference material.
Not being the greatly versed bike guru I'm looking for someone who can help.

I am looking for any information on the motorcycle that Sam Elliott rides in the 1986 film, 'Mask' - I'm aware it may be a custom bike, so even a photograph of a bike very similar would be nice. It's just there aren't very good reference images in the film or production shots.

Here is a little image I put together which might help - anything you can contribute is appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Can't really tell from the pics (and ive no plans to rent the flic) but looks like a rigid FL with glide bars. Front end is def over, maybe 4 or 6? Can't tell if there is any extra rake. Can't tell if it's disc or drum. Those things used to be all over the road. These days you see more skinny bikes - narrow front ends, 21 wheels, peanut or xl tanks. Each to his own but I like those older bikes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, it certainly gives me something to go off at least, here are a few more pictures, but I am not sure they will be any more help than the last.
Glad to meet another fan of older bikes.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Panhead. Early swing arm frame (58-64). Juice drum rear. Stock oil bag. Mousetrap clutch. Front end looks about 4 over.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Ryan, I appreciate the details, stated with such authority as well.
Makes me want to sit down and talk shop. These details are definitely going to help flesh out the project. If anyone else has something they'd like to add I would love to hear it.

Ciao

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I'm looking at the pics on my phone, but it looks like at least two different bikes on the pics. I see a rigid frame in some of the pics and a later pan swingarm frame in one of them. Haha, I haven't seen that movie since I was about 8 years old, Rocky freaked me out, probably gave me nightmares back then!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I agree, two different bikes. not only the differences pointed out prior, but also the sissy bar making a special appearance. It's definitely a panhead!

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's been awhile but, Sam Elliot's character owned a shop. That could explain the swingarm pan in the shop picture. Not necessarily his bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes sorry haha I should have pointed out that between the biker club and his bike shop a different bike slipped in there - Now that really is a test!

I saw this movie back when I was seven or eight years old as well, and it stuck with me. I just so happen to have fallen in love with Sam Elliott and bikers. But I digress

SO in most pictures the bike is the Rigid Frame right? I'm going to assume that's the one I'm looking for - should I be able to look that up in Google images and get good references or does someone have a better way?

·
Registered
706 Posts
stock pan risers, fl bars, internal throttle, no front brake, mouse trap, rubber mount 3.5" spacing top tree, I agree with 4 over, most likely a stock rigid pan frame. is it streamable on netflix? I'll watch it at work tomorrow and see what else I can come up with.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yes sorry haha I should have pointed out that between the biker club and his bike shop a different bike slipped in there - Now that really is a test!

I saw this movie back when I was seven or eight years old as well, and it stuck with me. I just so happen to have fallen in love with Sam Elliott and bikers. But I digress

SO let's go with the theory that his bike is the rigid frame - and the other is the panhead. If I look on Google images for rigid frame bikes - will I get images of motorcycles similar to this?
check the panhead picture thread in the sticky. plenty just like it. its not really a complicated bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is it streamable on netflix? I'll watch it at work tomorrow and see what else I can come up with.
Oh that would be AWESOME if you would watch it to see if you could get anymore information - may I recommend the Director's cut. I don't see why it wouldn't be on netflix - I got the screencaps from a very SHODDY online version.

In the meantime I'll go check out the thread see what I can find

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you deduce from that one photo that it's a panhead?

I really revel in the details, I find them very interesting as I can't see these things for myself, you guys are an invaluable resource, thank you many times over.

I'm excited to see if I can get more information from Rich and anyone else who can help.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
There are two, early 60's pan & a 70's cone shovel ridgid with no rake & 4" over. Loved the movie because i would love to do Cher at that age!!!
Besides, Sam Elliot is one cowboy cool mother fucker !!! He is to the 70's generation what Marlon Brando was in, the Wild One !!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
In that last black and white picture, he looks like he's gotta shot fork seal. Even if youre looking at doing an original, fix that!

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
You have two different bikes there The one he's workin on is post 57 pan. The photo above is a hardtail but photo not that great could be anything in there thats what I say

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
A few points to reply to

@Slim55g - Who wouldn't agree? Cher had this natural beauty, and by her own admission a better actress than a singer. I would add something about Sam Elliott, but I believe you said it best.
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=25903
@whittiger650 - that's very impressive, had I just posted that image in the first place I wouldn't have started such a great discussion on the details.

@jakespade77 - Yeah, the bike's got all sorts of issues in the film. The idea of recreating a bike with all the flaws just for the sake of originality strikes me as funny. :D

@jimzap1 - existence of two bikes established as well as my apologies on the poor quality images again. Hardtail - is that like a rigid frame

1 - 20 of 43 Posts