Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok - been pissing the breeze with moonshiners about a stromberg or something on my 45

thought id start a new thread for it

anyone put any interesting carbs onto old harleys? / any cool ideas for a nice carb?

i want to avoid the linkert and mikuni route really [or i could cop out and go with the easy mikuni and get a big ass carb cover on it :) ]

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think this has been discussed before. My (un-informed) opinion is that a carb designed to feed an 8 cylinder engine will probably make something smaller run like total shit. Even with a tiny jet or something like a stromberg 48, it just seems like way to much for any thing less than a seriously hopped up or large displacement twin, especially a flathead 45". Beside all that it seems to me that the intake needed to facilitate such a thing wouldnt exactly be the optimum shape to feed the motor, again i could be wrong here. Certain things are overdone for a reason. 5 spokes on hot rods and linkerts on 45's, they just work; aesthetically and practicaly. Throw a bird deflector on that old carb and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
linkerts on 45s - just dont work [that well] - thats why the non origional guys are dropping things like mikunis on there

i dont know if a larger carb can be made to run ok on a 45 - thats why im asking advice, but a linkert you might as well have a wick running from your fuel tank...

im just trying to make a cool bike even cooler really - the mikuni is the logical sensible obvoius route - but if we all took the logical sensible obvious route then none of us would be riding chops would we?

·
Registered
344 Posts
figured it had been done just never seen it. Although I don't believe it actually "ran" duals...
You can always tell on a multi set up as the Blank ones are still clean! ;-)

looks cool though, and obviously can be done...

Anyone actually tried to hack one in a real garage on here...?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm so i can run a stromberg as a mono? might be more like it... also manifold would be a lot simpler...

·
Registered
967 Posts
What about a Zenith or an old motorboat/utility engine carb?

Just throwin' it out there, I have no idea...

·
Registered
344 Posts
I know there not strictly fuel injection, but from what i understand (and could well be wrong) they're an overly complicated carb, designed to overcome certain problems that standard carbs have in such cases as light aircraft... Although in doing so make things more complicated like having to shut fuel off before shut down so it dosn't "Spit"...?

But yea from what i can gather an over engineered carb. If you can't crack the float bowl one,when it's broke to fix it, it's not my idea of fun...

If i'm completely wrong about the Posa and Lakes. a proper explanation would be great from someone thats more clued up than me.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
if you ever seen a lake (ill try to get a picture of one opened up), its FAR FAR FAR FAR FARTHEST from "over" engineered.

its baseically 3 plates and a slide with a needle. havent heard anyone that got one to run "right" on a road bike, althought if my education is correct, they were touted and advertised for the street. i know of some peopel that were successful in race applications.

the main problem was idle. WFO was great.

a picture would better explain and i know Irish Rich LOVES these carbs..dragon and a few other people are far more knowledgable than me about them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts