Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe what a pain it is to install an old Corbin speedometer assembly on my 1920s Harley J model. I bought all the parts from Terry Marsh (highly recommended) and figured I'd have it assembled and installed in an hour or less. WRONG!

I loosely fit the head and bracket on top of the fuel tanks, installed the drive cable to the speedo head, loosely fit the drive and gear with the drive cable installed, and then getting the ring gear right drove me nuts.

The first session was more than an hour, and today was another hour or more, but I finally have it done and it seems to line up OK and work. I'd like to put a few hundred miles on it to make sure all is as it should be.

This is on my Motorcycle Cannonball bike, and is an important instrument (resettable odometer) to help keep me on course on the ride across the US.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's funny is that it goes up to 100.
Why is that funny?

The JDH "2 Cam" Harleys were known to go well over that speed without much modifications. In fact, the JDH's were finally banned from AMA racing in 1936 (7 years aftyer they were discontinued) because the riders of new Harleys could not catch them.

And this Harley of mine is a JDH.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.