Jockey Journal Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
4,030 Posts
sorry for derailing the thread, but... more details on how it fcked you please?
Sorry; somehow missed this, JP.

Working on a bike with a non-stock cam, and even on exhaust stroke the bike made enough compression to fool me into thinking I was on the compression stroke.

Spent a long time on it, and finally just decided to follow the manual blindly, just for kicks, and it fired right up.

I don't use my thumb any more. I use the manual.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Sorry; somehow missed this, JP.

Working on a bike with a non-stock cam, and even on exhaust stroke the bike made enough compression to fool me into thinking I was on the compression stroke.

Spent a long time on it, and finally just decided to follow the manual blindly, just for kicks, and it fired right up.

I don't use my thumb any more. I use the manual.
Interesting! thanks for returning back to asnwer that bit>
something for me to keep in mind, thats for sure.

I do use the thumb for ease, but when things dont work as they should straight away, I always go back to the slight corners I have cut and recheck properly/use other methods

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Okay guys I went through it all one more time. I replaced O rings on intake manifold and reassembled. I reset the magneto timing and checked pushrods/play. I even removed magneto and pressed against block with plugs removed and turned over with drill. The plugs lit up and no grounding found. I got a slight back fire out of it but nada on starting. I also did compression ckeck with cheap china kit. I had roughly 95 pounds each cylinder. Whatever it is is beyond my abilities and time right now. I am going to take it up to Jesse(dragsters place). I feel confident he can figure it out. I appreciate all the help and as usual open to any last minute suggestions.

·
4,030 Posts
Have you pressure-tested the manifold?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have not but does anyone sell a plug for manifold to pressure test it? I can’t find one for SS manifold. Also how many pounds of pressure?

·
4,030 Posts
Plates to test can be purchased commercially. Milkhaus Speed Research makes one, Tom Cotten makes one, and I make 'em, too.

I usually use three or four pounds of regulated air; that's plenty to blow up the bubbles.

·
Registered
407 Posts
after reading all of this, i am wondering...
when was the last time it ran?
reason i ask, how old is the fuel?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I have not but does anyone sell a plug for manifold to pressure test it? I can’t find one for SS manifold. Also how many pounds of pressure?
dead easy to make one.

thick steel plate, 3 holes. 2 to bolt to the manifold, one for a valve.

the valve I use is off a tractor tyre, bought of internet. the good thing about it is it has a rubber o ring that is sandwiched on the other end, so no leaks.
being a tractor valve, opposed to an air hose fitting is, anyone can use it, either if you have an air compressor and air gauge like I do... or a bycicle pump,

21 - 29 of 29 Posts