Jockey Journal Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
4,052 Posts
sorry for derailing the thread, but... more details on how it fcked you please?
Sorry; somehow missed this, JP.

Working on a bike with a non-stock cam, and even on exhaust stroke the bike made enough compression to fool me into thinking I was on the compression stroke.

Spent a long time on it, and finally just decided to follow the manual blindly, just for kicks, and it fired right up.

I don't use my thumb any more. I use the manual.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Sorry; somehow missed this, JP.

Working on a bike with a non-stock cam, and even on exhaust stroke the bike made enough compression to fool me into thinking I was on the compression stroke.

Spent a long time on it, and finally just decided to follow the manual blindly, just for kicks, and it fired right up.

I don't use my thumb any more. I use the manual.
Interesting! thanks for returning back to asnwer that bit>
something for me to keep in mind, thats for sure.

I do use the thumb for ease, but when things dont work as they should straight away, I always go back to the slight corners I have cut and recheck properly/use other methods

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay guys I went through it all one more time. I replaced O rings on intake manifold and reassembled. I reset the magneto timing and checked pushrods/play. I even removed magneto and pressed against block with plugs removed and turned over with drill. The plugs lit up and no grounding found. I got a slight back fire out of it but nada on starting. I also did compression ckeck with cheap china kit. I had roughly 95 pounds each cylinder. Whatever it is is beyond my abilities and time right now. I am going to take it up to Jesse(dragsters place). I feel confident he can figure it out. I appreciate all the help and as usual open to any last minute suggestions.

·
4,052 Posts
Have you pressure-tested the manifold?

·
4,052 Posts
Plates to test can be purchased commercially. Milkhaus Speed Research makes one, Tom Cotten makes one, and I make 'em, too.

I usually use three or four pounds of regulated air; that's plenty to blow up the bubbles.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have not but does anyone sell a plug for manifold to pressure test it? I can’t find one for SS manifold. Also how many pounds of pressure?
dead easy to make one.

thick steel plate, 3 holes. 2 to bolt to the manifold, one for a valve.

the valve I use is off a tractor tyre, bought of internet. the good thing about it is it has a rubber o ring that is sandwiched on the other end, so no leaks.
being a tractor valve, opposed to an air hose fitting is, anyone can use it, either if you have an air compressor and air gauge like I do... or a bycicle pump,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I will pick up bike Thursday and apparently the gear that drives the magenta backed off into casing as it was lacking the proper spacer? I do not know enough details yetl but will advise more on the fix. The mechanic said it had to do with the aftermarket cam cover side casing. I once again thank everyone for their help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So I got the bike back and the gear that drives the magneto came lose and was not holding the proper time. If anyone runs into problems with bike not wanting to start I would suggest on top of all items we discussed to set timing and kick bike over a few times and recheck the timing to make sure the magneto cam is holding the timing marks. Back to happy riding until the next brake down...lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
When i get home next week I will removed the magneto and do a bench test with a power drill and make sure I'm getting adequate fire. Perhaps I have a bad condenser or coil. Long shot but maybe its not getting a good spark.
Trust me and my son haha handed it to him and said spin it. Lit his ass up you don't need a drill to get spark if it is working. Try it
I did one quick twist to test I know the spark they produce....

21 - 32 of 32 Posts