Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to check out a sporty. It apparently has a broken rear sprocket, chain, and guard. Owner was revving engine in what he thought was neutral, but was actually between gears, it slipped into gear, and the chain and rear sprocket and possibly hub broke. What other damage should I be on the look out for when checking this bike out? Seems like it would take a lot of torque to shear a rear sprocket and hub. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Little more info on it. 1960 sportster, hd springer front end, rear hub is fine, just the chain broke and apparently trashed the guard. He's asking $2,800. I appreciate everyones input on this. You're definatly making me think twice. Thanks again.

·
Registered
935 Posts
1200 tops looks like a parts bike to me,that looks like more than a cracked guard,the crack looks like it behind the sprocket ,so engine case is trashed. second thought 800 and only if there are enough parts to make it worth that

·
Registered
5 Posts
One thing I would confirm if I was suspicious of the trans on an old sporty, is making sure it has the trapdoor to slide the trans out if the primary's cover off. On the later sporty the trans has a separate bay from the engine case until 2004 then back to no trapdoor. On the earlier ones the engine case is shared and you have to split the whole engine to get to the trans to fix bent forks etc.. At least that is my understanding of the early early ones don't quote me, but look into that cause if something is wrong you may want to know that going into it..Luck

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The pic shown was a weak point on early Sportsters, so if he'll let you pull the sprocket cover, I'd check close. On the one hand, it could be the basis for something special with a Sporty engine with the trans cut off, and a BSA/Triumph pre unit trans behind it, or an HD big twin trans. On the other hand, I agree with Hogster, $2800 is too much for it. If the HD springer is genuine and the title is clear and transferable, and there are other cool or semi-cool parts. (or uncool but saleable parts.) I might go $1400-$1500 tops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts