Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've never heard of a "Pops Dreyer" sidecar as an actual make or brand (which is not to say they don't exist...just that I never heard that he actually made his own rigs) but the real life "Pops" was famous for racing sidecar rigs. Pop's was an HD dealer back east until his death about a dozen years ago (at least) and can be seen talking about his racing career on a video from about 20 years ago called "The Glory Days". He raced the rigs in the post World War 1 Class "A" era and was known to be a pioneer with the "Flexi" sidecars that would actually articulate with the turning attitude of the bike via flexible joints at the mounting points. As I recall, over the years he had 4 passengers... a couple of whom did not survive the racing. He raced on both the dirt tracks AND board tracks of the late teens and early '20's.
I hope this gives you some leads on more info.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I don't have a pic, but a friend of mine has a a pop dryer side car that was used in the indiana police department and it still has the sticker on it for the ISPD, I hadn't seen it yet or even heard of one and though maybe someone on here may know somthing,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Pops Dreyer made some really cool midget racecars. Most had flathead ford 60's in them, but some had knuckleheads. My Dad has one with a 90 cu in knuckle, two Riley carbs on alky that he restored. Pop's son Junior has the oldest Honda dealership in the US in Indianapolis. I stopped in and talked to him on the way to Mid-Ohio and Waseon one year. Junior has actually "re-tinned" several of the Indy cars that are displayed in the INDY museum. I enclosed a picture of Dad's car.
KeV

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, very cool, indy would make sense for the sidecar coming from ISPD, maybe this is a old honda sidehack, I just need to go get a picture of the car and post it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.