Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Does anybody have info on a Yamaha tx 500 twin? It's a 74 it has body work like a tx 650 but i know nothing about the engine. Any riding impressions? or general info. I can pic one real cheap. Thanks
Gregg

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So nobody owned on of these back in the day? I think it would make a nice little custom if the engine was sound. Let me know what you think. Gregg

·
Registered
56 Posts
they look similar to xs', and they both have parallel twin motors, but i think that the tx500 is much more technologically advanced.
i remember researching them because i wanted to buy one locally. took it for a spin and it just wasn't fast enough for me.

i think the thing with the tx is that it had a 4 valves per cylinder head.

i can't tell you much more than that, but i can tell you that after riding the tx500 and the xs650, i bought the xs. faster, more fun to ride, and more parts available.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! After alittle more reserch i found that the handling was mediocor, reliability an isssue and parts really not availibel.I just found one locally for a cheap price and even with all the old Jap stuff i have owned i had never heard of this model. thanks again, Gregg

·
Registered
108 Posts
i've got a tx750 in the works right now and if the 500 is like the 750 it will really be a pain in the arse to get ANY kind of parts for it.also these twins run a balance shaft off a crank driven chain if the chain wears and gets sloppy the is a chance the counter balences form the crank and balance shaft will hit and good night johny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts