Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up a "1949 Indian arrow" basket this weekend,and I have a few questions. First,I know these aren't considered "real" Indians,because they aren't a v twin,and the engine is a British design,but what engine are they based on,or who manufactured them? I've read that enfield owned Indian,but not until 1955. And Amc owned Indian,but not til the early 60's.so?

Secondly,Im told that a 49 arrow should have the number 149 on the frame,engine,etc.followed by the actual serial number. Is this correct? are miscellaneous parts also stamped with "149"?

The arrow is in pieces,and mixed up with what is supposed to be a 49 scout ( I don't get the scout stuff) so I just wanna know what goes with what. Any help or input is appreciated.more info and pics when I get it home,of course.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Ok, that was the last ditch effort by Indian to get part of the upcoming Britt bike market, the Vert twin and single as they are know was designed by the same guy who designed the Triumph speed twin, but to Indians specs, reversed primary so you couldn't mix and match with the real britt bikes.

You are going to have to search Ebay for pics of what goes to the 149 verses the 249 twin, they have shard components.

Not bad for around town and take it easy on it, they were under engineered and are kinda week.......Roach.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Umm, pretty sure it was Briggs Weaver who designed the "Torque" singles and twins and not Edward Turner, who designed the original Speed Twin.Weaver used a similar (albeit reversed) layout to the Brit bikes, but they were super unreliable and (in the case of the Arrow) 213cc of slow.
So yeah, American designed and built by Indian, as much a 'real' Indian as the few Chiefs that were sold that year.

·
Registered
487 Posts
i have a 49 arrow single, original and complete. its been in my family for over 40 years. every indian place here in the northeast that i contacted for help with it acted like your typical harley dickheads because its not a chief or four. the 1 exception being ted tine motorsports in essex CT.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it seems that the general consensus along everyone I've mentioned it to would be to NOT trade my BSA A65 basket for the arrow basket. As a matter of fact,most people seem to be steering me away from it altogether!! Perhaps in an attempt to snatch it up for themselves.. thanks for the information,guys. Im thinking ill pass on the project.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Yes and no, it is not worth the BSA basket, but has its own worth, alltogether, not in a bunch of peices, if you can get it for like $250-$500 then you might get a deal......

·
Banned
2,013 Posts
Talk to Jim at Southwest Vintage Cycle. He has been collecting parts for the 149/249 series for years and has the largest inventory of parts in the US.
And Royal Enfield never owned Indian. Nor did AMC. Brockhouse Engineering from England bought Indian (Remember the POS Brave?) and they were the US distributors for many makes under the Indian Sales Corp. name. They imported Norton and Vincent among others, they were behind the re-badged Enfield Indians as well as the AMCs.
That is why the Norton Manx won Daytona (and was eventually banned!), and riders like Rollie Free rode Vincents. They were marketed to Indian dealers and riders and sold through the old dealer network.
The 149 and 249 were originally deigned by Torque Engineering which was bought by Indian at the end of WWII with the idea of a modular engine in various sizes. The market wasn't ready for such a bike and they were too small by American standards.
Robbie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes and no, it is not worth the BSA basket, but has its own worth, alltogether, not in a bunch of peices, if you can get it for like $250-$500 then you might get a deal......
Well this guy wants $1500! I know for a fact I'm not doing it! Instead,I'm buying a titled hardtail chopper frame with sportster front end,BSA engine,and borrani wheels. Yeah,I'm all over the place,but hey,I'm new at this, and I seem to have more money than sense at the moment. thanks for putting up with my excited ass!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I picked a 49, 249 vertical twin in a box for 400 a while back to build a bike for my son. After a bunch of research I found it just was not something I wanted to get involved in. They have a ton of known problems and weaknesses. There are many modifications you can make to better them but I was told they were still a bit unreliable. I Ended up making good money selling off the parts on craigs and e-bay in the end.

There is a Yahoo group for them full of very enthusiastic owners/collectors if you get involved in them (Indian Vertical Twins) I would highly recommend the Group. There are people there that Know of ALL the Mods you will need to do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why is the world filled with greedy f****s who think "Indian" = $ and treat a find of anything bearing that name like they just hit the lottery ?
I believe you hit the nail on the head. If you knew this guy,you'd want to cause him some GBH. Thanks for the advice everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.