Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rings on my dream are gone, i mean they must be, blows oil out teh back and all... whitish/blueish smoke... doesnt smell like gas.... bike needs to warm up for SERIOUSLY 10 minutes before i can ride without it dying... so, thinkin since all other parts have gone through (except didnt rebuild carb, but did clean it VERY well out), i think i need rings.... bought a set of stock pistons and rings, and once i get motor apart, hopefully walls wont be all screwed up.... still riding a lil bit before winter, so havent gotten motor apart... thing is, this shouldnt be all that hard should it raelly??? i mean i work on cars LOTS, and this should be MUCH easier and less complicated i would think... i know about chain and all... i mean i dont feel like i have any options... i need it to stop smokin so much, iots embaressing... LOL..........

guys think i will be bitin off more than i can chew?? also, if anyone has pointers i would LOVE em, ive never even taken a bike motor off the frame, i know that bottom end can stay on though i believe...

·
Registered
675 Posts
You should be able to handle it fine if you have worked on cars. You can take the top end off with out having to remove the motor from the bike. If you need rings make sure to check the ring gap and stagger the openings of the rings as the manufacturor suggests. A ring conpressor helps to get the pistons back in without much effort at all. YOU CAN DO IT!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so yeha............. you guys think its teh rings??? leaks oil a lil through the gasket im abuot to replace too, so thats not a suer thing, im just sure its leakin oil cause of exhaust..

·
Registered
675 Posts
If your passing old thru the exhaust the odds are good you have so ring damage. I'd also check out your cylinders while your at it maybe a honning is in order. You may have to go up a ring size also
51rat said:
so yeha............. you guys think its teh rings??? leaks oil a lil through the gasket im abuot to replace too, so thats not a suer thing, im just sure its leakin oil cause of exhaust..

·
Registered
944 Posts
Easy way to find out if it is oil. Start the bike and have someone hold a white index card at the rear of the exhaust, doesn't have to be close...within an inch or two. Rev the motor, if oil is getting past the rings, you will see the oil droplets on the card. Fixing the motor is easy, finding the rings may be hard, especially if you need oversize pistons and rings.
Hank

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bought new pistons today, $35 with rings... if i need to redo cylinders, rebuild kitfor teh motor is $95 and is overbored a lil bit with new pistons and rings and all... pretty sure its the rings... hopefully not too bad... bad vibration too, should probly redo mounts or atleast top one too...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts