Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here's my required intro. I tend to be more of a lurker than poster but I do contribute when I know I can help, which isn't going to be very often in a place like this.

Twenty years ago I traded for a basket case Triumph 6T chop that had been crashed and someone had begun cutting on again. It's been in my attic until earlier this year when I noticed I finally was getting some chances to work on some toys again. So I pulled some of it down and started thinking, then thinking some more and so on.

To digress, I have a background in messing about with bikes, cars and trucks over the years but in particular I am drawn to picking up very cheap, non-running, worn-out projects that have been sitting around in a state of decline for some time. I don't restore. I just return them to a functional state, usually in an inexpensive fashion. With these projects I have a thing with making do with what's on hand as much as I can. To the point of detriment many may determine but it is something that drives me.

An example would be a '51 Willys wagon I cheaply acquired that had the frame hacked up but the body was OK. Then a few months later I picked up an IH Scout that was in opposite condition. I proceeded to put the Willys body on the Scout chassis and went with it. It wasn't pretty but it was reasonably reliable and I hauled many loads of rocks out of the mountains in it among many other tasks. My user "handle" comes from that, IHWillys.

With the Triumph I am doing my usual. Some will disagree with it. As the neck/backbone was deemed unusable I went about replacing that. I did so using a '75 Honda XL350 neck. The use of the Honda triples, front forks, hub and 21" wheel will suffice for now as they sit the frame as I want it. A girder or springer are in the long term plans as I raked it out to 45 degrees with no up or out to the frame and thus the trail is a bit on the long side(look honey, I built a flopper!).

The rear downtube(don't know proper term), where the carb hole had been, was cut out and replaced at some point in time, but the replacement was crooked so I redid that. Basically I ended up with the engine loop portion of the frame being comprised of the original Triumph parts from the mounting lugs down and above that is new tube and the aforementioned Honda neck.

I also straightened out some crash damage to the rigid section.

Anyway, this is at least a several year project for me as everything needs rebuild and I don't get more than a few hours a week to devote to it.

JJ is a great read and I am learning quite a bit, which I like. I am no master craftsman and I don't do enough of any one thing to ever be one. Well, except for computer programming. Two other guys and myself developed some software. That I am pretty darn good at and that's how I earn a living.

Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Welcome aboard Ken!
Snap a pic or two of your Triumph, show and tell is better with pics ; )

skinny
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top