Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have photos, opinions or ideas about a Buell Blast-based single-cylinder, 500cc dirt-track inspired motorcycle? I'm collecting parts for another build and a Buell keeps poppin' up on my affordable donor bike list. I found a guy in Riverside, CA who'll sell his 2001 for $1500. It's yellow, goofy-looking and low mileage. Title and registration of course intact, so the back end of the build won't be fraught with headaches. I've seen one Buell Blast bike that wasn't completely gay: the one in the The Horse about 4 months ago. Anyone seen others? photos please...

and don't be afraid to tell me I'm a jackass.

harold

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hey McGoo,

I know that buell did build some flat track bikes out of the blasts...I seem to recall that at least one of them was ridden by a girl, who promptly whooped serious ass on it...thats why I remember it, they made a big deal out of it..Not saying that they are a girls bike by any means though;). Im pretty sure this was right when they first came out too.. Ill dig around and see if I can find any pics of them floating around..
XCS

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lilbill said:
you're a jackass :)
thanks for the tips, the photos and the vote of confidence. my status as a farm animal notwithstanding, I think the buell will make a good donor bike. probably going to buy it this week...

trent, if you can recall the name of the blast-based customs shop, pls send it my way.

see you in mexico in three weeks!

mcgoo

·
Registered
335 Posts
McGoo,

I think Crossroads performance does a lot of Blast stuff. I know that I had some of their stuff on my old Buell, good quality stuff at a good price.. AMAZING people there as well. At least there were when I talked to them a few years back.. I had a small problem with a set of bars( sort of a clip on setup with a plate..)that I got through one of their retailers that didnt work as it was supposed to, fitment issues and such.. I called them up to see if I was doing something wrong, and they told me that the part wasnt even for my bike..the shop sold e something that wouldn't work.. They actually got their hands on a Buell of the same model and year as mine and made up a set of one offs for me at no charge and had the retailer refund my money.. I call that GREAT customer service.. But back on the topic, they do a LOT of Blast stuff..
Chad

·
Registered
944 Posts
Somewhere I have some pictures of a street tracker blast, but I can't remember where I "hid" them on this damn computer. Guess this will have to do for now.
Not a tracker, but one of the nicer blast based bikes I have seen.
Hank

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Apehanger Hank said:
Somewhere I have some pictures of a street tracker blast, but I can't remember where I "hid" them on this damn computer. Guess this will have to do for now.
Not a tracker, but one of the nicer blast based bikes I have seen.
Hank
i was just about to post that picture...someone told me that was a paugcho sporty frame that they used

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
you'lle prolly think i'm a dork, but at 1st glance i thought that green bike in the curret HORSE mag was a blast. that bike is fuckin' sick! i've been daydreamin' about building a bike similer to that with a cool single(not supercharged)for a couple months before i saw that one. i've been pokin' around for a cheap blast, but so far the cheapest ones i've found are around 2 grand. that just aint in my budget rite now.

·
Registered
335 Posts
beatcad said:
you'lle prolly think i'm a dork, but at 1st glance i thought that green bike in the curret HORSE mag was a blast. that bike is fuckin' sick! i've been daydreamin' about building a bike similer to that with a cool single(not supercharged)for a couple months before i saw that one. i've been pokin' around for a cheap blast, but so far the cheapest ones i've found are around 2 grand. that just aint in my budget rite now.
Hey Beat, you werent alone in that thinking man.. I saw lots of posts on various boards by peeps wh though it was a blast at first...
And for some reason that I cant really figure out, they really do seem to hold their value, dont they??
XCS

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
that buell is way cuell(cool). what happened to the tread about pix of singles? these shoulda been there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
McGoo, OG ED here (EDR 06 survivor for those of you who do not know me). I dropped you a personal email about this recently but wanted more input from the general public. I just picked up a Buell s3t. It is in near perfect shape and like your recent score it came in my price range for a project bike (way under bluebook). I am determined to customize this creation. I have already been chatting with some OK greasers (where I live) who have been in Tap and Die shops since their daddies first let them play with their equipment. They are willing to let me take part 100% in my build out, which is great. This means I do not have to upgrade my tools by $3-4000 just to build the bike. I have seen hundreds of pictures and read tons of articles. I am still looking for the perfect fit in a custom frame for the 103hp engine. I am hooked on this modified sporty for some dumb reason. I rode it as is and it has big balls. Sport bikes are just not my ticket, I do like the 1200cc's however.
I also do not want a ******* or mutant type frame but want to use an old 1920's springer bicycles (Wards Hawthorn, etc) for the basis of the concept. If anyone has seen some decent customized Buell stuff, companies, accessories, parts, etc, etc, please send links and or pictures to [email protected]
Thanks,
Still bummed I did not make EDR 07 but I have been talking to the Rouge Run people about sponsoring.
OG ED

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Hey Beat, you werent alone in that thinking man.. I saw lots of posts on various boards by peeps wh though it was a blast at first...
And for some reason that I cant really figure out, they really do seem to hold their value, dont they??
XCS
I just sold a 2002 for a friend. Had 2300 miles. basically new. book value is only $1850ish. I sold it without tryn for $2400. The chic that bought it said they are hard to find. Even had a HD stealershipp looking for her for months...I could have sold 3 or 4 of them for that price.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
anybody have photos, opinions or ideas about a Buell Blast-based single-cylinder, 500cc dirt-track inspired motorcycle? I'm collecting parts for another build and a Buell keeps poppin' up on my affordable donor bike list. I found a guy in Riverside, CA who'll sell his 2001 for $1500. It's yellow, goofy-looking and low mileage. Title and registration of course intact, so the back end of the build won't be fraught with headaches. I've seen one Buell Blast bike that wasn't completely gay: the one in the The Horse about 4 months ago. Anyone seen others? photos please...

and don't be afraid to tell me I'm a jackass.

harold
I say do it! sporty frontend & mags, Dunlop K180's & a tailsection. That would be a great cheap beater to have fun on. Hell even loan it out when a bud needs a ride...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts