Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 FX hardtail project, 77 FLH, 99 Electraglide standard
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
75 FX. 35mm Front fork spring lenght? The ones i took out are 19⅜. I have 3 other sets that a friend gave me. They are 18¾ which are marked "old". 22¼ and 22¾ are the other two. Not sure which is correct or is there an advantage to using something different than i took out? Im using a 21 inch wheel also. Second, there were no spring guides on top of the spring as indicated in the service manual on the break down "9A" 1973 to 1975. Are they needed? And could something be substituted if i çant find em elsewhere? I haven't looked yet. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm looking in the shop manual. Pg. 2-30. It also shows retaining ring and washer (5a and 5b), and cap washers (1a). Do you have those pieces? If you are missing more than one of the 73-75 pieces, are you sure it's a '75 front? Just checking, since I'm in the midst of dealing with my own mismatched front end issues, lol.
My guess is the longer springs are either less worn out than the shorter ones, or else will be stiffer than an a shorter one that is compressed into the same fixed space (ie the inside of the fork slider).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm looking in the shop manual. Pg. 2-30. It also shows retaining ring and washer (5a and 5b), and cap washers (1a). Do you have those pieces? If you are missing more than one of the 73-75 pieces, are you sure it's a '75 front? Just checking, since I'm in the midst of dealing with my own mismatched front end issues, lol.
My guess is the longer springs are either less worn out than the shorter ones, or else will be stiffer than an a shorter one that is compressed into the same fixed space (ie the inside of the fork slider).
Yep 5a and 5b intact. Along with the big boot 5. Its just the 9a that are missing. Im pretty sure its a 75. All else points to it including the application. On the spring length, i was thinking the same. But i never rode this bike, so i do t know what expect, "hard, soft, lazy, tight?" Thats why i was looking for the factory starting spec. I find it hard to believe that i have 4 different sets of springs with 4 inches of span. Lol. 18¾ to 22¾. If i didn't possess them, i not sure i would believe it. Or do different front ends have the same diameter spring but different lengths? Lolol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know Harley can have some pretty lenient tolerances (rocker arm play, anyone?) but four inches is a bit much. Since it looks like there's only only one part number in the factory parts book I'm looking at (FL/FX 1961-1976), that means either your springs are factory pieces in various states of wear, or maybe aftermarket ones intended to give different performance than factory ones. Either way, I can't think of any better advice than just make sure your springs are as close to matching from side to side as possible, and do some road testing. But hopefully some of the wiser dudes here have more info...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know Harley can have some pretty lenient tolerances (rocker arm play, anyone?) but four inches is a bit much. Since it looks like there's only only one part number in the factory parts book I'm looking at (FL/FX 1961-1976), that means either your springs are factory pieces in various states of wear, or maybe aftermarket ones intended to give different performance than factory ones. Either way, I can't think of any better advice than just make sure your springs are as close to matching from side to side as possible, and do some road testing. But hopefully some of the wiser dudes here have more info...
Thats another thing i fogot to mention. All 4 pairs are exactly the same length per set. And all have the "right" ends on em, so none have been cut. Thanks for your time also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No experience with your application. I was unhappy with the fork compression on my 91 FXR. Replaced the stock springs with some from Progressive. Very noticeable increase in compression and rebound. Much better performance. The stock springs were the same rate of compression the entire length. The compression rate on the new ones increases as the forks compress. The plastic spacer provided seemed to be just right. That was in 93, so I don't remember specifics.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No experience with your application. I was unhappy with the fork compression on my 91 FXR. Replaced the stock springs with some from Progressive. Very noticeable increase in compression and rebound. Much better performance. The stock springs were the same rate of compression the entire length. The compression rate on the new ones increases as the forks compress. The plastic spacer provided seemed to be just right. That was in 93, so I don't remember specifics.
I actually just took another look at the ones i have, and yes they are all the same rate the entire length. I might consider something aftermarket at some point. But currently have so many, was hoping to get by with. Might be a "trial and error" process for awhile. We'll see. Thanks for your input. And Happy Thanksgiving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts