Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,
Not long ago i introduced myself and mentioned i was hoping to built a Triumph bobber. Well i finally came accross a guy with a '67 BSA 650 Lightning that he was hoping to turn into a bobber. He only got as far as tearing it all down and then sold it to me.

To get started I have cleaned up and assembled the motor and carbs, sent the frame for sandblasting and ordered the weld-on hardtail as well as a Haynes manual.

Once i get all of that together it will be time to do the wiring and ignition system. I'm pretty good with wiring but not sure how it all works. I was hoping to get some info on where i might find a good resource on how to do this from scratch.

I'll probably go with a Micro digital ignition system an get the standard harness from Brit Cycle. I guess I'll need new coils? And what about those Mity Mouse things that take the place of your battery, any expereinces with those?

·
Registered
436 Posts
ATX-tommy said:
Hey All,
Not long ago i introduced myself and mentioned i was hoping to built a Triumph bobber. Well i finally came accross a guy with a '67 BSA 650 Lightning that he was hoping to turn into a bobber. He only got as far as tearing it all down and then sold it to me.

To get started I have cleaned up and assembled the motor and carbs, sent the frame for sandblasting and ordered the weld-on hardtail as well as a Haynes manual.

Once i get all of that together it will be time to do the wiring and ignition system. I'm pretty good with wiring but not sure how it all works. I was hoping to get some info on where i might find a good resource on how to do this from scratch.

I'll probably go with a Micro digital ignition system an get the standard harness from Brit Cycle. I guess I'll need new coils? And what about those Mity Mouse things that take the place of your battery, any expereinces with those?
If you are tearing it down and rebuilding it with a hardtail, you are not going to want to waste the money on a new harness. It won't fit, becuase all of the wires it comes with, will be the wrong length and you are moving things away from where they were designed to go. I used an accell harley coil and a boyer with a tympannum with a good battery, that is about it for my system. Do a search on here for wiring diagrams. Easy to do from scratch. And a lot cheaper.
Erron

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found a good diagram on here. I guess it just seems so easy that I'm expecting it to be harder than it sounds. Thanks much guys!
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5066

So this is a list of the stuff i am going to order and buy, let me know if i missed anything. Any recomendations on brand or type are welcome.

Boyer MicroDigital Ignition system
Boyer Twin output coil
Tympanium Unit
Ignition switch
Battery
brake light switch
A fuse or two
couple rolls of wire (14g?)

·
Registered
150 Posts
if i was you i would give serious consideration to buying the sparx charging system. it comes with a new stator,rotor,and regulater so you would'nt have to buy the typanium
its not cheap but i think it was worth every penny i spent on it
oh yeah.......maybe a head light and tail light:)

ATX-tommy said:
Found a good diagram on here. I guess it just seems so easy that I'm expecting it to be harder than it sounds. Thanks much guys!
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5066

So this is a list of the stuff i am going to order and buy, let me know if i missed anything. Any recomendations on brand or type are welcome.

Boyer MicroDigital Ignition system
Boyer Twin output coil
Tympanium Unit
Ignition switch
Battery
brake light switch
A fuse or two
couple rolls of wire (14g?)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
18 gauge wire is fine . Also the sparxs charging system rules . You can run a boyer and a holigen head light big plus on dark roads . And one 30 amp fuse on the - side of the battery . Remember the + goes to ground !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts