Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ita a 74inch shovel dyna single fire ignition...Sure it has been answered a few times on here but l.n and before the bikewas runnin grate. Well kicked it over last big fired up, but then it started to just run on the rear cylin and the front intermitley. This am started it and was running fine heated the coilup with a blow dryer and nothing. Is it possible the coil can be on its way out and just fuckinup once in a while ? Bike has also been a bit harder to fire up then usual. Checked no loose wires etc

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ita a 74inch shovel dyna single fire ignition...Sure it has been answered a few times on here but l.n and before the bikewas runnin grate. Well kicked it over last big fired up, but then it started to just run on the rear cylin and the front intermitley. This am started it and was running fine heated the coilup with a blow dryer and nothing. Is it possible the coil can be on its way out and just fuckinup once in a while ? Bike has also been a bit harder to fire up then usual. Checked no loose wires etc
I would test the coil for shits and giggles
Check the resistance between the coil connections for the spark plugs with a Multimeter. The resistance should be 0.5 to 3 ohms. A resistance outside of this range indicates a broken coil.

It could be a number of problems but i would start there

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, what else could it be ? All connections are tight, fairly new plug wires...was runnin awesome until last night. Then on and off not firing the front cyl.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
pull the plug wires out of the coil and check for corrosion. check all primary wire connections for tightness. the dyna s is pretty bulletproof, most problems can be traced to poor wiring or low voltage.
next time it happens, swap the plug wires and see if the problem moves to the other cylinder.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Sounds like a points coil on an electronic ignition... Did you change the coil when you installed the dyna???

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I've seen a coil that was on its way out start missing when it was running hot. Cooled the bike off, ran fine then went to shit again a few miles later

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I've heard both scenarios..heated the coil up today and it didn't do it IM assuming it's either the ignition pick UPS or one of the coils

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just had an issue with a brand new Dyna S I put on an 81 shovel, just stopped working. Sent it to Dyna and they sent me a new one no cost in a couple days. If you cant find anything else wrong give them a call, dude named Larry hooked me up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is there a way to test the ignition system ? I rode the bike this am and no issuses but it was doing it l.n and it was doing it and not doing it...don't want to get stranded on the side of the road

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like wats the symptoms of a faulty ign or coil ? Do they cut out intermittent or perm just stop working no in between

·
Registered
81 Posts
You don't think the front-cylinder module might be a problem; if you swap the coil front to rear it should give you the answer.

Jerry
Rhode Island

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've had one of the pickups on a single-fire Dyna S fail on me before, giving the symptoms you described.

Pretty sure it was my fault from running a non-dwell style two-in-one coil on it for years. Didn't feel like having two monster coils hanging off the bike. Would give problems in the heat and traffic, but a working compromise for a while.

If this is the case, you can still use the ignition as a dual fire (I did). Either put a new rotor with only one mag pole on it in place or drill out (thoroughly) one of the mag poles on your existing rotor and use an oem-style dual-fire coil.

Jason

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea thats what im leaning towards either the coil or one of the pick ups..The ignition system is 12 or 13 years old

1 - 20 of 21 Posts