Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...but if you are a hammer; STRIKE! I've been as patient as an anvil searching for craig and his list to find his hidden treasures. Finally, I found the treasure map and X marked the spot, but somebody beat me to the loot. I missed a $2500 89' FXLR and a $1200 Buell Lightening, just within the last week. I am sick. I read stories like that of 3GKnuck and Hatch who walked away with the smokin deals and I think why not me. So my advice to you is be as patient as an anvil but be ready to strike when you have the opportunity.
Am I the only person who always seems a day late and a dollar short?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Story of my life. Not sure if you have a smart phone. But there are craigslist apps so you can search when your away from your computer.

·
Registered
398 Posts
all my friends get jealous of me cause i "find all the deals" but they dont see all the time and effort i put into finding them or how much crap i wast time looking at.

other thing is have cash on hand ready to spend when you go looking.

when i show up im ready to buy and take it right there and then,
no coming back
no i need to get the money
no i got to check with my wife,
no i got to talk to my friend with truck and trailer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
all my friends get jealous of me cause i "find all the deals" but they dont see all the time and effort i put into finding them or how much crap i wast time looking at.

other thing is have cash on hand ready to spend when you go looking.

when i show up im ready to buy and take it right there and then,
no coming back
no i need to get the money
no i got to check with my wife,
no i got to talk to my friend with truck and trailer.
You are right on the money man, my mates all say I am a lucky bastard.
But the more time and effort I put in, the luckier I get!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I agree. The more time you spend, the better the deals you will find. But this is true with everything, not just motorcycles. I probably go look at a halve a dozen, to find one good deal. But in the process, I either don't like the deal, the guy has misrepresented the scoot, or they don't call you back, only to find that it was a 40 year old scoot, in excellent condition, and it sold for 100 bucks. Persistance is the only way to find a excellent deal, unless you are filthy rich, or lucky as bomber pilot living through 25 missions in WWII.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Use search tempest for Craigslist. it allows you to search multiple cities at once. You set the radius, and it searches all cities within that radius.

·
Registered
185 Posts
@Nottso- that sounds awesome. Thanks a bunch. I am a CL search addict... I scored a decent basketcase in Ohio. I will be posting a build thread soonish- I am still collecting parts. Next time through I will spend more time searching and be a bit more patient... Shovithead is right about time spent vs. good deals. Such is life.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I spend about an hour each day, on company time of course, searching bike and car stuff. I probably only buy one really ridiculous deal a year. You've got to put the time in searching. I work 6am to 2pm so my hours are perfect. I can still get to the bank, and grab my trailer before someone beats me to it. I once got a running shovel for 2g's, a 99 FLH (garage kept ) with 8,000 miles for $2,500. I bought my '51 Merc for $3,500. The guy listed his own phone number wrong. After a weeks detective work, I found the guy. He tells me no one even called about it. He thought he would of sold it the first day he listed it.Knowing I was the only guy to come look at it, I low balled him ans he took it. Sometimes people are just desperate, need the cash and aren't willing to wait around to get the cash their stuff is worth. And that's where we come in. A smartphone, patience, persistence, knowledge of what your buying and cash is all you need. Happy huntin'!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
the problem with CraigsList is as soon as a really good listing comes up most of the time it never has a phone number in it so you have to email the poster, so around here what most C/L pros do is send an email and immediately flag the post so other people can't buy it.
I really wish C/L would put moderators in control of flagging instead of the general public.
not mods like Scorcher...I'm talking about good ones...(joke)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just recently started useing the c-list app and I have gotten some great shit on there. My frineds always give me the WTF I never find good deals....Its cuz you dont put in the leg work!! Plain and simple work hard and often get good scores.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My dad (rip) was good at finding deals everybody thought he was a miracle worker cause of the deals he would get but he put in alot of work to get those deals. But he was always able to find what somebody wanted in better condition than they expected and for less money than they wanted to pay. Me however I suck at getting deals.

·
Administrator
7,802 Posts
I spend about an hour each day, on company time of course, searching bike and car stuff. I probably only buy one really ridiculous deal a year. You've got to put the time in searching. I work 6am to 2pm so my hours are perfect. I can still get to the bank, and grab my trailer before someone beats me to it. I once got a running shovel for 2g's, a 99 FLH (garage kept ) with 8,000 miles for $2,500. I bought my '51 Merc for $3,500. The guy listed his own phone number wrong. After a weeks detective work, I found the guy. He tells me no one even called about it. He thought he would of sold it the first day he listed it.Knowing I was the only guy to come look at it, I low balled him ans he took it. Sometimes people are just desperate, need the cash and aren't willing to wait around to get the cash their stuff is worth. And that's where we come in. A smartphone, patience, persistence, knowledge of what your buying and cash is all you need. Happy huntin'!
Good info.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
" dont give away the trade secrets ... "

Craigslist has trade secrets??? I find some good deals on CL, but I call it "the trailer trash, ebay site" And I live in a trailer, so I qualify as someone who can call it that, without being a jerk.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts