Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through the wiring diagram for my bike and erasing what I thought I didn't need. When I got to the idiot lights I started second guessing my wire butchery (better on paper than the real thing, right?).

I think I may want to keep a couple of the lights - like the High beam, Oil pressure and neutral light, low fuel, etc. Am I being a pussy - should I get rid of all of 'em?

I think I'd like the oil light though...

Let me know what you think,
Jay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Keep them all. Mount them above the radio and right next to the heated grips.

Just being an ass, but really it kindof depends on what kinda bike you're building and how comfortable you are without the idiot lights as a safety net. Kindof like setting up your controls- a personal decision.

My grandparents have an Aspencade with everything including neon on it. And they think I'm an idiot for putting together a bike with nothing. To each his own. If they enjoy looking like 2 old farts riding a UFO down the road, more power to em.

That said, I'm gonna try to keep a neutral light on my bike. Some might laugh at that, but I want to do it. So maybe consider each light individually and figure how important each one is to you? And having a good inconspicuous way to mount them might help too?

That's my 2 cents, but mainly I posted to be a smartass.
~ Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
I have just an oil pressure guage on mine
But a neutral light would be handy for when I have my head up my ass
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
I've got the oil pressure light....although I was told, "If it comes on...its already too late."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nappy said:
Keep them all. Mount them above the radio and right next to the heated grips.
You cut me real deep just then...:D

I picked up an old Wipac Headlight off ebay and it has a jewel light for high beam indicator and a hole where the highbeam switch used to be - figured I'd use the hole to mount the oil light. It's also got an old ammeter in it that I don't know if I want to hook up, leave in the bucket unhooked, or pop out and make that hole "Idiot Light Central."

I've already decided against the directional signal warning lights, the reserve lighting warning light and I'm on the fence about the low gas light. Neautral light is nice but do I need it - still fighting with myself on that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Dont forget the "stupid driver nearby" light or the "I need to pee" light and of course the ever favorite "she fell off the back" light :)
KnuckleBuster said:
You cut me real deep just then...:D

I picked up an old Wipac Headlight off ebay and it has a jewel light for high beam indicator and a hole where the highbeam switch used to be - figured I'd use the hole to mount the oil light. It's also got an old ammeter in it that I don't know if I want to hook up, leave in the bucket unhooked, or pop out and make that hole "Idiot Light Central."

I've already decided against the directional signal warning lights, the reserve lighting warning light and I'm on the fence about the low gas light. Neautral light is nice but do I need it - still fighting with myself on that...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
if you really know your bike, you don't need a light to find neutral. have faith and use the force, feel the force flow through you... LOL

Nappy said:
Keep them all. Mount them above the radio and right next to the heated grips.

Just being an ass, but really it kindof depends on what kinda bike you're building and how comfortable you are without the idiot lights as a safety net. Kindof like setting up your controls- a personal decision.

My grandparents have an Aspencade with everything including neon on it. And they think I'm an idiot for putting together a bike with nothing. To each his own. If they enjoy looking like 2 old farts riding a UFO down the road, more power to em.

That said, I'm gonna try to keep a neutral light on my bike. Some might laugh at that, but I want to do it. So maybe consider each light individually and figure how important each one is to you? And having a good inconspicuous way to mount them might help too?

That's my 2 cents, but mainly I posted to be a smartass.
~ Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Yeah, me and my son rode it just like the way its sitting in the picture far about 50' then hit the side of the rode and flipped it end over end.

He was fine, Me a seperated shoulder and a fucked up leg. My buddies are helping me get it back together this weekend.

Sorry for Highjacking the post, really wished I did have that light though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
I forgot a light....the "shes about to take her top off " light :D
Levi said:
Yeah, me and my son rode it just like the way its sitting in the picture far about 50' then hit the side of the rode and flipped it end over end.

He was fine, Me a seperated shoulder and a fucked up leg. My buddies are helping me get it back together this weekend.

Sorry for Highjacking the post, really wished I did have that light though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
snortonnorton said:
have faith and use the force, feel the force flow through you... LOL
Oh, I thought that was the chili....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Nappy said:
Keep them all. Mount them above the radio and right next to the heated grips.

Just being an ass, but really it kindof depends on what kinda bike you're building and how comfortable you are without the idiot lights as a safety net. Kindof like setting up your controls- a personal decision.

My grandparents have an Aspencade with everything including neon on it. And they think I'm an idiot for putting together a bike with nothing. To each his own. If they enjoy looking like 2 old farts riding a UFO down the road, more power to em.

That said, I'm gonna try to keep a neutral light on my bike. Some might laugh at that, but I want to do it. So maybe consider each light individually and figure how important each one is to you? And having a good inconspicuous way to mount them might help too?

That's my 2 cents, but mainly I posted to be a smartass.
~ Rob
The bestest kickass neutral light would be a Bobs Big Boy shifter knob with a bright LED mounted in the Hamburger, that lit up in Neutral. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
my bsa don't have squat except for the high beam jewel light built into the housing. both my harleys still have every factory light.

don't make me any difference.

like some of the old timers say: if the lights aren't dim then it's makin' juice; if it's runnin' it's got gas; if you can't hear rods knockin' it's got oil.
 

·
TI_Tuesday
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
i'm running a high beam indicator because its part of the headlight bucket...the hi/lo switch is on the back of the bucket...nothing else anywhere. what atch said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
atch said:
my bsa don't have squat except for the high beam jewel light built into the housing. both my harleys still have every factory light.
Where can you get jewel lights? Are they still makin' 'em? I've seen the dumb looking "Hi-Tech" ones all over the place, but haven't seen a good old fashioned one in a long time...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Well I can cleary see what went wrong....Jesus hates you.
Holly shit Joe! I about sprayed my computer with coke when I read that! :D

Levi, I heard that when that light comes on it's already too late...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
idit lights
since i am an idiot, i run only one

charging sysstem light, saved me in sturgis when i vibrated my regulator apart and i got into rapid city and looked down at my light and it was on...

oil light, sure they work good...
but my top end is gonna get noisey first and i have a gauge.

KnuckleBuster said:
I was going through the wiring diagram for my bike and erasing what I thought I didn't need. When I got to the idiot lights I started second guessing my wire butchery (better on paper than the real thing, right?).

I think I may want to keep a couple of the lights - like the High beam, Oil pressure and neutral light, low fuel, etc. Am I being a pussy - should I get rid of all of 'em?

I think I'd like the oil light though...

Let me know what you think,
Jay
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top