Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilema . I just bought some of the fancy brass risers from Mute over there , and they are bolt on style , like for a hydraulic style front end . The bolt on from underneath into the top tree .

Obviously I can't to that with my springer .

So heres my idear . . . a threaded bung that taps into the back leg of the springer , that would accept all-thread , so when it was threaded into the back leg it would become a " stud " . Then I would just thread the riser onto that and i'm good to go .

Obviously the bung would be finished of with a weld around the top of it to keep it from pulling out . . .

Does this sound like the best way to do this or does anyone have any etter ideas ? how hard will it be to keep everything straight & true so the risers don't look like floppy bunny ears ?

do I make any sense here ? Will someone with knowledge in this field help me out a little ? I need ideas I guess , or I need someone to tell me that my idea will work , or that it won't and why .

·
Registered
236 Posts
=mike= said:
Here's my dilema . I just bought some of the fancy brass risers from Mute over there , and they are bolt on style , like for a hydraulic style front end . The bolt on from underneath into the top tree .

So heres my idear . . . a threaded bung that taps into the back leg of the springer , that would accept all-thread , so when it was threaded into the back leg it would become a " stud " . Then I would just thread the riser onto that and i'm good to go .

Obviously the bung would be finished of with a weld around the top of it to keep it from pulling out . . .

Does this sound like the best way to do this or does anyone have any etter ideas ? how hard will it be to keep everything straight & true so the risers don't look like floppy bunny ears ?

do I make any sense here ? Will someone with knowledge in this field help me out a little ? I need ideas I guess , or I need someone to tell me that my idea will work , or that it won't and why .
Mike, didnt think to ask how the current ones are held on (not real familiar with stock springers)? I made a set for Chopper Chaz that clamp into the riser..

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
=mike= said:

thats the way they been doin it for years

·
Registered
962 Posts
Supposedly 45 parts depot has the exact part you are looking for, big ass threads (9-1/16 -24"???) threads into the upper legs of the springers, and reduces to 1/2 -20" stud that protrudes through your top tree to thread your risers onto.

What I did was just to buy 2ea. 1/2-20" allen head grade 8 bolts long enough to be inserted upside down from the back-side of my top tree (triple clamp). I had to slightly shave some of tghe diameter off each allen head, but not much, for it to slip into the upper springer legs. Cost all of about $5.00.

The riser is held onto the neck by the neck nut, and onto the fork legs by pinch bolts, it's not going anywhere.

You could also weld the upside down 1/2-20 allens (after slightly grinding) into the upper legs, and slip the top tree over it, but you will have to shim-washer your risers to get the torqued and to position their cutouts exactly inline to insert the handlebars.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just scored an oem 48 springer that Im planning to run similar risers on , I found some threaded inserts from v twin, all you have to do is run a tap down and screw them in,unfortunately they no longer make them... anyone know where to get these?I couldnt find them at 45 parts depot.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I Took a pair of 1/2-20 drag race lug nuts(threaded all the way thru),turned them down to a slight interference fit and set them with loctite sleeve retainer.this way they are straight ,have plenty of thread and you can undo them if you decide you want to sell your cherry, original springer to some purist for $$$$.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts

I saw a top tree in the Wyatt Gatling catalog that looks like a regular top tree, but you put bolts (supplied) to hold it to the legs (where the threaded studs usually go) and then it has holes (standard 3.5" centers) drilled for use of individual risers, so you bolt them up like on a WG. Pretty cool part. If you cant find it; let me know; I'll get you a part #. Hope this helps.

·
Atomic Custom
3,829 Posts
I just scored an oem 48 springer that Im planning to run similar risers on , I found some threaded inserts from v twin, all you have to do is run a tap down and screw them in,unfortunately they no longer make them... anyone know where to get these?I couldnt find them at 45 parts depot.
Get some 3/4" round stock. Thread one end with 3/4" fine and the other with 1/2 coarse (or fine if your risers are fine).. bingo.

Of course, you need access to a lathe.. but it will take you about an hour to do a set if you are able.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Get some 3/4" round stock. Thread one end with 3/4" fine and the other with 1/2 coarse (or fine if your risers are fine).. bingo.

Of course, you need access to a lathe.. but it will take you about an hour to do a set if you are able.
Hey I actually found the part after looking around some more, looks like 45 does sell them...or...
Scott M just got a lathe ....I could call in a few favors

1 - 13 of 13 Posts