Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im mostly a car guy , i have a 46 gmc pickup. but being a highschools tudent with little funds , i want a cool old school style chopper . not the lame occ kinda stuff , i want to do work on it. under 1 grand would be the ideal price.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any models in particular , ill tell you right now i know nothing about bikes , i know metal work and auto paint , some car engine work . a model and year would help a shit ton.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Man the possibilities are endless. Any chain driven motorcycle with laced wheels and a full cradle frame (meaning downtubes that go underneath the engine instead of the engine being a structual part of the frame). I've seen guys turn vintage dirtbikes into cool bobbers.

Particular models to keep an eye out for would be the Yamaha XS650, Honda CB 350, 400, 450, 500, and 750, A triumph or BSA 500 or sometimes even 650's can be had for cheap.

I would look for a motorcycle salvage yard in your area and go grave robbing. Also, you might want to pick up some books. Billy Lane came out with one that might be helpful for you. Also, there's some book out there called how to build a chopper for 5 grand or something, that might have some useful info for you.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I did my 82 Honda Ascot ft500 for about a grand not including paint, polishing and chrome. I got the bike for free. Just promised the guy I'd take it away for him! I'll try to post pics later today. MIKE.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
rockabilly_bass said:
im mostly a car guy , i have a 46 gmc pickup. but being a highschools tudent with little funds , i want a cool old school style chopper . not the lame occ kinda stuff , i want to do work on it. under 1 grand would be the ideal price.
Tell me about the '46 GMC. I've long wanted one and have lots of suitable bike donor stuff.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
rockabilly_bass said:
:eek:
good luck....
seriously, like mentioned, start with a 80's style yap bike and work on it, create your own rake and leaf front end (no pun intended)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Find an early 80's kawasaki 750 twin. They are to be had cheap, as in around 500 bucks, and then you can cut everything off that isnt needed to start with. There is a little room under the seat to cut and lower the tubes under the seat. Bet you could make a cool looking ride out of one for 1000, and that including tax,title and lic.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
xs's can ALWAYS be done under a grand... i had a bunch less than that into mine, it only needed asembly and a chain.... everything else was there, and that included a one off custom frame from a friend! get anything, ride it, tear it down and chop it up

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sporticus said:
Tell me about the '46 GMC. I've long wanted one and have lots of suitable bike donor stuff.
the truck isnt for sale , but its pretty stock , eycept i shortend the bed and choped down the roof a little .

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Under a grand? Should get you a big wheel with apehangers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hit the swap meets kid! And garage sales tons of old bikes stashed in peoples garages they usally wheel 'em out to sell on sundays along with a bunch of other crap. I scored two seventies style flaked helmets for 5 bucks for both! Start turnin' rocks something will pop up.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
E2Grunt said:
i 2nd that!!!! plus i have one in the classifieds that has about $500-800 dollaras worth of parts for ebay if u cut it up, restorers and cafe guys pay good money for dumb shit like turn signals and gauges we toss away!!! unripped seats, all that shit hits good money, hell, the air cleaner boxes and rubbers hit $75 somtiems!! lol...

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey man.....i bought a 71 honda cb 350 for real cheap. I stripped it and had tigman from world class welding hardtail it for me. Tigman also mounted a peanut tank for me for a real good price. The frame and tank looks great. I'm using all the old parts for the build. just cleaning it up like, taking off the blinkers and building a different headlight setup. Its going to come out real nice. i'm going to rattlecan the frame and have a friend spray the tank and fender for me. good luck....and have fun..its a real exciting feeling...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts