Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My '72 had a spigot work loose.....an oversized one at that.
I was wondering if this idea would work. I was thinking that if I drilled and tapped about 8 holes through the spigot and and used set screws to thread out toward the head, it may hold.
Any thoughts?
Johnny

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Re: Idead for Triumph exhaust spigot fix

I did that, sorta (only used one hole, Mr. Overkill).

I did it from the outside though; tapped hole in the head, hole in the spigot & I let the screw protrude just enough to grab the spigot and not mess up exhaust flow.

It worked, but I understand the desire to not see it from the outside...though I don't think the spigot has enough meat to get appreciable thread in there.

Also, even though exhaust gas movement is outward, I wouldn't want one of those screws coming loose inside the head, know what I mean?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Re: Idead for Triumph exhaust spigot fix

this must be popular one side of my bike has one set screw I have to agree with the Dr 8 might be a little overkill lol. I jumped on this because the other side does not have a set screw and the threads are currently fine BUT the damn thing loosens up all the time is there any locktite that will work under that kind of heat?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about 8 little set screws like 3/16" dia. and maybe 1/4" long. They'd be flush with the inner surface.
Didn't think of 'em falling out. Maybe some sort of sleeve that would fit inside and contain the set screws if they got loose? How 'bout some TINY welds or stakes around the edges of the holes to make sure they can't fall all the way out.
My biggest concern is if they will hold the spigot in place with threads that really no longer do much to keep the spigot from coming loose.

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Getting complicated...I would want anything that close to a valve just waiting to trash my motor.
Keep it simple. Staking could work, or just do the aforementioned set screw and be done. If you're hellbent on returning the head to "resto" condition, put the hole underneath & someone could TIG it up if it really bothers you.

Above all, it's a crap spigot system so make sure your pipes are mounted solid, two places other than the head.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not worried about the look as much as securing it in place around it's diameter. Just sort of wondering if that would hold up better than securing it only in one place.
Would it really make any difference to secure it in more than one spot?

By the way, my pipes are secured at the far aft end and about a foot below the head.....still worked loose. Do I need more?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
though I don't think the spigot has enough meat to get appreciable thread in there.
+1, i think coming from the outside is your best bet (which in my mind is still only a temporary fix...

·
Registered
500 Posts
MAP cycle has an aluminum spigot that can be welded to the head. Nothing to work loose any more, but prob a pain in the ass if it ever broke.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
153 Posts
John Healey has written that many of the later spigots were not threaded far enough up their length. They will not bottom out in the head and will work loose.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The self threading oversized ones? When I bought the bike the original spigots weren't there. The threads were so far gone I'm guessing they fell out on the road somewhere and shot out the pipe like some kind of chrome bazooka.
I'm thinking once I get this pipe-to-pipe bracket done and since I re-sealed and screwed the loose one in some, it will at least get me going till tax return time!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Check towards the end of my build thread, I used JB weld, coated the inside of the head, threaded the spigot in, wiped out the inside CAREFULLY to remove any excess so that it would not slip into the head. I let it kick off, and used a bracket in the stock location that I fabbed up, and another at the rear, right below the footpeg. Never had any trouble again. The JB weld I used was the putty kind that you knead between your fingers to mix. I LOVE that stuff!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had any problems with it burning or melting, Dicky?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Had exhaust spigot issues as well.....spun up a couple of aluminum spigots and cnc'd the head to allow for. 005" press fit ...took some time to get the head set up to make the new bore for the new spigots as concentric with the exhaust ports as possible, but it was worth taking the time.......used the cnc to press them in as well.........

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a couple of heads with spigots and no threads left in the heads. MAP, as has been pointed out, has or had the aluminum spigots that you weld in place, and that is what I have planned for the heads I intend to keep.

Loffer, and the poster from down under are thinking along the same lines as me. Machined surface, and new aluminum spigot pressed in/welded in place.

I don't know what genius engineer came up with the idea of steel spigots in an aluminum head, but I certainly hope he got a swift kick when they started going bad...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.