Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Bikes coming out of Japan never cease to amaze me. The willingness and lack of hesitation to almost totally disregard function and/or comfort blows my mind. Whats even more insane is that from all evidence I've seen, they ride these contraptions an almost unbelievable amount. Its funny to me that some Japanese builders started out trying to imitate certain styles with limited resources, and ended up creating an aesthetic all thier own. It seems every Japanese-built cycle I see in magazines or on the internet look overwhelmingly FUN; something that seems to be lacking in a lot of bikes from a lot of places. Japan, and all shops therein, you RULE!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tha Nutz said:
I'm all for some weird shit when it comes to bikes, but that one is pretty fucking retarded. Especially the seat and the tank. I mean, it is really hard to make a 45 solo frame look bad, but they managed.
Exactly...

How do we know this bike is from Japan? (It does explain things, tho)

·
Registered
174 Posts
What amazes me is every time I hear these guys talk about how dumb someone elses bike is because it lacks function and is all looks. Don't get me wrong, I think the bike looks stupid too. But if you're really all about the function of a motorcycle then you should be riding a brand new BMW R 1200. If you're riding a pre-1980 bike you should hardly be preaching about function.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Joey said:
What amazes me is every time I hear these guys talk about how dumb someone elses bike is because it lacks function and is all looks. Don't get me wrong, I think the bike looks stupid too. But if you're really all about the function of a motorcycle then you should be riding a brand new BMW R 1200. If you're riding a pre-1980 bike you should hardly be preaching about function.
id say there is a difference between having to sit your tailbone on a ribbed fender something hurtin' then what your talking about .... take "function" down to even the lowest form and that bike lacks....especially in that damn seat. building rigid bike with a sprung or even unsprung seat that you can actually sit on the SEAT is functional...having a seat that cups your balls and you sit on a ribbed fender....not functional.....hell it doesnt even look good enough to not be functional haha...if it did i could justify...but what doesnt look good to me usually looks good to someone else

·
Registered
174 Posts
caffeine said:
id say there is a difference between having to sit your tailbone on a ribbed fender something hurtin' then what your talking about .... take "function" down to even the lowest form and that bike lacks....especially in that damn seat. building rigid bike with a sprung or even unsprung seat that you can actually sit on the SEAT is functional...having a seat that cups your balls and you sit on a ribbed fender....not functional.....hell it doesnt even look good enough to not be functional haha...if it did i could justify...but what doesnt look good to me usually looks good to someone else
I see what you're saying. But if I talked to a Goldwing rider about the function of my bare metal seat he would laugh his ass off.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Are you for real? Why have an all or nothing attitude? There are obviously different level of non-functionality. Riding a rigid frame and a spring seat will never be as "functional" as a modern swingarm bike. But there is a world of difference between the bike posted here and a well-put-together rigid bike by irish rich, or fab kevin, or any number of other builders that make solid bikes.

Joey said:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tha Nutz said:
Are you for real? Why have an all or nothing attitude? There are obviously different level of non-functionality. Riding a rigid frame and a spring seat will never be as "functional" as a modern swingarm bike. But there is a world of difference between the bike posted here and a well-put-together rigid bike by irish rich, or fab kevin, or any number of other builders that make solid bikes.
I'm plenty for real. And just in case you missed my point, it's that everyone definition of "functional" is relative to thier own specific goals and objectives. Harleys by design chose form over function. So it just astounds me to hear people who are riding old harleys actually bag someone else about the functionality of their seat, rake or whatever.

In short, I'm pointing out that while you are ripping on whoever built that bike there are BMW riders laughing at you.

The world is full of haters.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I didn't miss your point. It just wasn't made very clearly or articulately. But now that you have clarified yourself, your second sentence below, at least, makes sense.

Joey said:
I'm plenty for real. And just in case you missed my point, it's that everyone definition of "functional" is relative to thier own specific goals and objectives. Harleys by design chose form over function. So it just astounds me to hear people who are riding old harleys actually bag someone else about the functionality of their seat, rake or whatever.

In short, I'm pointing out that while you are ripping on whoever built that bike there are BMW riders laughing at you.

The world is full of haters.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
At least the frame doesn't appear to have been cut. Someday in the future, a reasonable, unfashionable curmudgeon like myself might be able to find shit like that at a yard sale and make something functional from it. Imagine that!

Yeah, it's retarded for the sake of being retarded. Kind of like cutting your tongue off just because you can.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts